MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Lo folks, need some help from you ICE gurus. I'm thinking of getting this head unit here. What I'm hoping to do is use one of my external enclosures for 3.5" Hard Disks and plug that into the head units USB port, has anyone done anything similar?

My external enclosure has a mains transformer that steps down to 12vdc, this then powers the interface module between the drive and USB connection, so I was thinking of scrapping the transformer and taking the 12vdc from the car to power the enclosure. Should work in theory!

I always have a stock pile of 3.5" HD's laying around it'd be nice to be able to use a few of them.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
hello

this is indeed a very good head unit, and a very good idea, which should work in thoery......

all a HD is, is an oversized flash drive, which is what these usb ports are designed for. so i can see your idea being a great sucess.

im after an external hard drive myself to plug directly though usb onto my laptop, trying tog et a reasonably sized one, maybe 20gb for a cheap as possible.

do you have any avaliable??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alas, no. I only have access to the 3.5" drives themselves.
What I usually do is buy the external caddies on their own (i.e. no drive included) and then throw whatever I have laying around into them.
You can get the enclosures on www.svp.co.uk or the old trusty ebay, for very little cost (e.g. £13 on SVP).
I just had a look there and you could have an external 80Gb drive for around 50 notes - it's really that cheap.

·
Registered
935 Posts
im kinda new to hard rives and enclosures, do the enclosures themselves convert a 3.5" hdd to usb connection? so then it can be directly popped onto the laptop?

cheers

·
Registered
935 Posts
ok cheers for the advice, do you have any of the 3.5" hard drives which you dont use which you might be interested in selling? as i say anything around 20gb would be more than sufficient.

im a student you see and on a budget

·
Registered
772 Posts
This should all work as you say if the enclosurers you are using don't require drivers which I doubt they do. Also you might want to think about vibration, and knocks the hdd might take whilst in your car, after all the hdd is mechanical unlike a flash drive. I dropped a 20gb mp3 player, and it royally buggered the hdd inside it up, luckily i got a new one under warrenty :p

·
Registered
734 Posts
Modern hard drives are fairly robust... especially if you go for a laptop size rather than 3.5"... though I have a 3.5" external drive I carry round with my laptop too and never had a problem with it

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
I'd got for a laptop drive instead, much smaller and easier to hide in the dash, will draw power needed from HU so no need for additional power.

andy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AndBurG said:
I'd got for a laptop drive instead, much smaller and easier to hide in the dash, will draw power needed from HU so no need for additional power.

andy
I was thinking the same thing, but it would appear that these HU's can be very picky about working/powering these 2.5's as they pull the most they can out of the USB supply.

·
Registered
734 Posts
GavinG said:
I was thinking the same thing, but it would appear that these HU's can be very picky about working/powering these 2.5's as they pull the most they can out of the USB supply.
I thought most laptop drives had 2 USB connections... one for data and one for power... if thats the case you could power it either from a cigar-USB adaptor or wire it up directly to an ignition switched connection somewhere behind the radio :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts