MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Right, the CD player in my new F is shocking. Literally. The slightest bump in the road and it skips like mad. So it's going!!! Thankfully I still have the Pioneer Unit from the old car :D Just need to get the crappy one out. I've undone the 2 little allen bolts but it seems that the little row of fascia trim is also holding it in place. Is this right or should it just slide out. Can the trim be removed to allow the radio to slide out as normal?

Cheers in advance

Phil

·
Registered
269 Posts
Phil_B said:
Hi Guys,

Right, the CD player in my new F is shocking. Literally. The slightest bump in the road and it skips like mad. So it's going!!! Thankfully I still have the Pioneer Unit from the old car :D Just need to get the crappy one out. I've undone the 2 little allen bolts but it seems that the little row of fascia trim is also holding it in place. Is this right or should it just slide out. Can the trim be removed to allow the radio to slide out as normal?

Cheers in advance

Phil
What Stereo is fitted it may be that you need a tool to take it out.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
It should just slide out. Centainly the trim can't be removed (I assume you mean the bit with the dimpels in it?)
Are you sure you dont need to use some keys the release the stereo?
The other option is to remove the console trim with the stereo still fitted so that you can release the cage that it sits in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If your stereo fascia has two little allen bolts on either side you'll need a stereo tool. They're sold in Halfrauds for about £5 from memory and look like two U shaped bits of metal. Slip one in either side until you feel them click and then pull the whole lot out. Be aware though that depending on the stereo you may also need a junction box so that continuous power feed, speakers tec all connect up properly. They come in different shapes and sizes. When I swapped my stereo over I found the fit quite snug on the TF so expect it to be firm - not bast&rd tight though.

Or have I misunderstood and you mean something different?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the MG 1 slot CD head unit. Has the little Allen bolts, I can undo them but not remove them (they are stuck behind the little flappy bit). I took the vent out and had a look but could not even see a cage for it to sit in. So the next thing might be to take the whole console out. How hard is that?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My unit came with two little metal plates that are used to pull the unit out. You wouldn't have a couple lurking around with the cars docs by any chance?

Nigel

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

Once the grub screws are out, you will probably need a set of these to push in to the holes. They release the catches on the side of the head unit which holds it in place.

If you don't want to buy them, just cut the corners off of a metal coat hanger and bend to the right width. Job done. :D

Edit: Of course, I could be completely wrong as I have never seen the standard head unit. If anyone has a piccy of it I'll be able to tell for definite.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
krisxf said:
Edit: Of course, I could be completely wrong as I have never seen the standard head unit. If anyone has a piccy of it I'll be able to tell for definite.
Thin you are mate ;) :lol:

I'll take a pic later and post it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Phil...

The best gag if you really have trouble is nip down to Halfords or another stereo shop and tell them you're thinking of buying a head unit from them but need to check the wiring behind first... and can they quickly get the unit out for a sec so you have a look :) They will have all the tools necessary.

There's a good car hi fi place on Castle Boulevard in Notts... heading up towards the castle on the left hand side... or I presume Halfords is still over in Castle Marina

Hope this helps.

ChrisT.

ps. I see from your sig on the left you say "not leicester anymore" - but don't say you now live in Notts... I think I've given the game away mate... sorry ;-) Hope you haven't got the mafia after you....

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Phil.

If you can make it up our way there are several `Pub car parks` that offer a FREE stereo removal service!!!........ you even get a free House brick as part of the deal!!!;)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Phil

IIRC you have the same CD player I did, the BMW Business Blaupunkt MG branded crap thing.

on each side there is a flap.

Open the flap, they hinge outwards, then you will need an allen key (I cannot remember the size) to undo the two bolts.

with the bolts fully undone, remove the centre vent and push the stereo out from behind.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Phil,

When I changed my head unit I undid the small Allen bolts (or so I thought) and no matter how hard I tried it just wouldn't come out. The answer was that the bolts weren't turning at all. I was using a metric key and when I changed to an imperial one it came out no bother at all.

DC

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, you seem to be suggesting what I thought I had already done. I'll have another go I think.

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks. Managed to get it out in the end. I just wasn't unscrewing the allen bolts far enough:getcoat:

·
Registered
57 Posts
i had the sasme type of set up on my unit.The only difference was you screwed the allen keys in all the way and this pushed the clips in.Then the unit slid out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had the same cd player and had to remove the centre consoul to get the thing out. Then had a lot of trouble fitting the Sony MP3 player as the cage just didnt want to fit. This was a complete pain to do.

I then gave my old MG CD player to a frriend with a PRE 2000 MY F and it wouldn't stay in place. It seems that the hole on the 2000 MY is slightly narrower then the standard size of most cars (including PRE 2000 MY). I had to make new bracket things to allow make it stay in place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts