MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive got a Rover 111 GSi and my old stereo which I manged to get cheap has packed in. I'm now looking to by another , one that I have my eye on is this unit http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=3820&cadid=7817e06d2618d5ac94957b2209da5c17, which when lit up will match the rest of the lighting inside my car.
There is also this unit , but I'm not so sure it will look good inside my car http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4038&cadid=7817e06d2618d5ac94957b2209da5c17.

Also in there much difference between a stereo that has a 4x45w output and one that has a 4x50w output?

In the front I think I have some Sony speakers, not Explodes I don't think because they are just silver and black. In the back I have fitted some standard and very crappy Metro Speaker (10cm).
This setup produces naff all Bass, even when coupled to my old Blaupunkt Seattle CD52 headunit. One of my friends however has a Rover 200 S reg with stadard front speakers (i think) and two 6x9 speakers rather nicely mounted on the rear shelf. This produces a fair amount of bass.

What I intend to do is spend around £100 on a stereo , keep my front Sony Speakers and buy some speakers for the rear. What would you recommend? bear in mind I have a tight budget.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
you dont really need any posh speakers in the rear of a 200 let alone a 100, concentrate the largest amount of your budget on your front speakers :)

I like that JVC unit, but thats because I am a sucker for JVC and have had 4 of them so far. 45x4 and 50x4, doesnt make a hell of a difference because they are max figures anyways, more like 12 and 13x4 continuous

so are you looking to spend 100 pounds on the speakers alone?

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
geeza76 said:
you dont really need any posh speakers in the rear of a 200 let alone a 100, concentrate the largest amount of your budget on your front speakers :)

I like that JVC unit, but thats because I am a sucker for JVC and have had 4 of them so far. 45x4 and 50x4, doesnt make a hell of a difference because they are max figures anyways, more like 12 and 13x4 continuous

so are you looking to spend 100 pounds on the speakers alone?
Thanks for the reply. No I am looking at spending £100 on a stereo and about £30 on speakers.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Eeeek, I'd spend the £100 on the stereo, and £30 on an amp. Ditch the rears altogether, and worry about more bass when you have a sufficient budget for it. There's no point in buying some £30 6*9's (or any speakers really, given that the OEM ones would probably retail at £30 if they were for sale seperately). - they'll suck even more than decent ones. Atleast an amp and some upgraded wiring will provide a marked improvement in the SQ.

As geeza says, there's only a tiny output from most headunits - compare the size of the amp inside one to the size of an external amp and you'll start to see why.

HTH

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts