MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had any experience of the Steptronic Box going wrong? I have a 25 is 1.8 with the Steptronic box and had to have it recovered to the dealer tonight as it no longer displays "D" on the dash when in drive and cannot go above 15-20mph. Even at 15-20 its running at 4500rpm. A couple of times I got the "D" to display after putting it into "R" first but on pressing thr accelerator it soon disappears.

I get my ZR 120+ in May, it must know its going !!!

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, the gearbox has gone in to default 'limp-home' mode [indeed it is a limp!!]

The dealer should be able to interrogate the ECU fault code memory and identify the fault.
The Stepspeed 'box is unrepairable [by the dealer] therefore replacement is the only option if a mechanical fault is detected.

It's still under warranty, isn't it?
Let us know how you get on won't ya?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the car back again ... running fine.
Dealer says that they found corrosion in one of the connections so they think that this may have been the cause. Just thankfull I have the car back again for the easter weekend!

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Steptronic problems

Water in the electrical connector to the gearbox can play havoc with the 'box; it is a known problem.

To this point, one of my valeters washed the front panel of a 75 Auto; we came to move the car afterwards and uh-oh - no reverse gear ???

We turned the car round (by hand) and I drove the car up the road...guess what? One gear only :-(

It turned out that the large electrical connector from the body to the auto gearbox had a small amount of water in it; we dried it out and all was well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts