MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some quick bullet points for swapping the rad on my VVC please?

And any bits I might need to look out for or tips..

I've got a quick project to do this weekend as it's getting warmer!
cheers,
Meza

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quite an easy job i would have thought just take your time and try not to damage the new rad when you fitting, and try not to get coolent in your mouth, doesnt realy taste that nice

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking is it worth using some kind of coolant flush or sommat or just run some water out of a hosepipe round the system?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is it a brand new rad or a second hand one? If its new then you wont need to flush it but if its a second hand one i would flush it and then check for any leaks.Just use a hose to get all the excess coolent from you system.Remember to bleed the system when your finsihed so there are no air locks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a sparkling new one, I have a feeling the old one is gonna disintegrate in my hands when I take it out!

Thanks

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
tommo86 said:
Is it a brand new rad or a second hand one? If its new then you wont need to flush it but if its a second hand one i would flush it and then check for any leaks.Just use a hose to get all the excess coolent from you system.Remember to bleed the system when your finsihed so there are no air locks.
Flush it anyway. It's not unknown for new rads to have loose blobs of excess solder or other manufacturing debris inside. They're supposed to be checked after manufacture but you need to protect yourself against the occasional lazy/drunk/careless production worker not doing their boring and repetitive job properly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not sure about these cars but the few i have done are simliar,

most are secured at the top by a bracket were the rad is held either side.

fans need to be unplugged

top and bottom hoses removed use a bucket if you don,t want water going every were.

and the rad should lift out. ++++++then you slot new one in

re-attach hoses and fan plugs.

refill coolent 50/50 water anti freeze some cars just need to be run a few mins with expansion cap of when restarting.

On some others you need to undue bleed screws etc refer to manual someone here will know on that model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts