MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few weeks been getting a mild vibration through the steering wheel, more recently its vibrated really bad, this only appears noticeable when stationery, and on either a hot or cold engine..any ideas, considered a p.a.s pump exchange.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opposed to assuming its the fault of the p.a.s unit, you think it could be the fluid re-circulating pressure in the steering rack, as Ive checked all column and rack securing bolts, theyre fine, as it is now the vibration through light finger tip feel on the steering wheel is horrible, any worse and its probably near on a visual shake!!:(

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Mine does the same thing mate. Not had chance to investigate it yet. I just put it down to engine vibration through the steering. Maybe the steering vibration absorber is shot.

Why not remove the PAS to rule out the pump then let me know the outcome.

·
Registered
rover_75
16 Posts
I had the same problem on my 75 CDTI (110000 miles) very annoying loud rattle on tickover, I finished up purchasing a used replacement steering column of a 75 that had only done 14000 miles, when I dismantled the old column the lower bearing was worn this was causing the column to vibrate internally on tickover, the main problem appears to be the fact that the bearings are in a plastic cover and it was the actual cover that was worn, I am not sure if this is a common fault or whether there is an underlying problem i.e excessive engine vibration etc. because I appear to be getting a small rattle on tickover with the replacement column that was not there when I first fitted it.

hope this helps

cheers Mick

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, may go for a replacement pump first, not certain the problem will be there, although it is the original one from new.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
misterreliable said:
Thanks for the replies, may go for a replacement pump first, not certain the problem will be there, although it is the original one from new.
What makes you think it's the pump?

Does the vibration go when you press the throttle and bring the revs up a bit?
If it goes then I'd say it was engine vibration through the drive shafts.

Why not just take the belt off first like I suggested?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ashy said:
What makes you think it's the pump?

Does the vibration go when you press the throttle and bring the revs up a bit?
If it goes then I'd say it was engine vibration through the drive shafts.

Why not just take the belt off first like I suggested?
Im doing some more tests on it, as you mention belt off to eliminate first, but just looking into pump prices initially.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mick0648 said:
Hi misterreliable

Have you had any joy in identifying the steering wheel rattle.

Regards Mick
Hi Mick. Why have you got the same problem? mine was really annoying at the time of writing, but couldnt report back with anything or any conclusion as to why its now only doing it very, very mildly, its just sort of petered out..thanks for asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts