MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am changing my steering wheel and know exactly what to do, however, I can not get the main bolt loose in the middle of the wheel? It is on that tight I just can't shift it. Any tips or advice would be very welcome!!

Cheers

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the bar I'm talking about! I am turning anti clockwise too!! You're right, I do need a longer bar!

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
Make sure you've got the sterring lock engaged and push against it's resitance. Mine came off quite easily doing it that way.

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you've got the sterring lock engaged and push against it's resitance. Mine came off quite easily doing it that way.
I had tried that but don't want to break it!! Is that a possibility or do I think I am way stronger than I actually am?

How thick is the bar youre using... have you tried putting a Ring spanner over the end...??
Great idea, but, I don't have a ring spanner :sad2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
David, You can have a go when you come to mine. I`ve not tried but I think my wheel nut wrench will slide over my ratchet ...that would give it more length and a greater moment.

When i did mine i had to put it onto full lock and give it a gentle tap with the old hammer.

Chris

·
Registered
846 Posts
Be prepared for the nut to suddenly "go" when you break the torque on it especially if you have to use extra extensions plus maybe a hammer to "shock" it free, don't want to hurt yourself or damage any of the interior.:eek:uch: ;)

BTW never strike a torque wrench, it will put it out of calibration, same can happen also if you put an extension on the handle. Should really only be used for doing up nuts and bolts.:)

·
Registered
mgf
39 Posts
Torque wrench's are for tightening nuts up to a specific torque, not for extra leverage when trying to undo any thing. Just because the handle is longer doesn't mean you can swing of it for ever tight nut you find. Also on this matter putting a ring spanner on the end for extra leverage is very dangerous and again not using the tool for what it was designed to do.

Correct tool for the job is either a breaker bar or decent size T bar. Plus there are a lot cheaper than the torque wrench.

Sorry
Rant over.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had trouble changing my steering wheel, originally trying to use my socket wrench but it didn't work.

Got my torque wrench and up the torque to 200NM which did the trick as it's bigger than my socket wrench! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts