MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum Calling from Sweden
I have a MGF -97 with a strange steering problem. After cornering the car doesn´t go back to it´s normal "straight forward" position, it keeps turning slightly. I have to help by turning the steering Wheel to get it centered. It´s not a EPAS problem ( I removed the fuse and then it´s really hard to steer). I´ve looked at the obvius, tire pressure, the joints under the steering Wheel, tie rod ends or ball joints. Had the 4 Wheel aligned done last summer. It´s the same problem if I go left or right.
Any suggestions where to look next?

·
Registered
mg_tf
19 Posts
Although you have ruled out that the EPAS is causing this. Your symptoms suggest it is the power assisted steering that's causing it. Look at the forum t-bar.com. there is a how to guide for checking the EPAS fault produced by David Aiketgate. Do a search in the forum looking for EPAS fault and his name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I´ve looked at the guide by David A. If I jack up the car and start the car it doesn´t turn to the left (or right) by it self. It stays in normal straight forward position. I noticed something else. It looks like there is some kind of oil/fluid dripping from the Epas system under the steering Wheel. Is the system both electric and hydraulic? The Power steering works but it feels like I have to use more force than I used to, to make it turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I thoght so but so wanted to ask anyway.
Since the steering wheel dosen´t turn when I jack up the car and start the engine I don´t think its a good idea to adjust the torque sensor.
someone has any other idea?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,896 Posts
Not very common but I guess you could have a mechanical problem with the steering rack, I am not sure how you would check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the tie rod ends from the wheel spindles and both the upper and lower ball joints are ok on both sides. I´m running out of ideas what to look for,,,

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,896 Posts
Are your wheels or tyres slightly out of true? So if rolled off the car will they go straight or will they try to roll in a circle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts