MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i turn the wheel to full lock there seems to be a kind of "locking" sensation and i can let go of the wheel and the wheels dont straighten up,i can drive round in circles without even holding the wheel.also the tyres are almost completely bald on the outside of the front tyres.could this be a suspension problem?,the tracking is out a bit but not enough to cause the steering to lock.i have also noticed that when going round corners the wheels dont straighten up straight away and i have to corect it myself

im not 100% sure but wen u look that the front wheels from a distance the top of the wheels seem to angle out slightly.could it be the wrong wheels on the car,i been told it somthign to do with the off set of the wheel,if so how can i find out,there is somee writing on the side of the tyre but im not sure what it meens?

i brought this car from a second hand dealer and it seems to b a complete death trap....i got the car last thursday and alothough it passed the m.o.t. the day before ive had to buy a new back box,new middle pipe,new down pipe,new pads(brakes failed on me coz they were down to the metal) new air filter,new plugs and soon to have 2 new front tyres :(

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
OK first of all who did the MOT, the dealer?
If so that MOT is worthless and obviously not worth then paper it's written on. It should not have passed it's test with those tyres on never mind the pads.

I would have an independent MOT done for my own peace of mind because that car is going to kill you if you don't.

If it fails on anything or are given a notification for anything then take it straight back to the dealer as it's not in a road worthy condition.

As for the tyres it looks like the offset is way wrong as the camber is out. The offset should be stamped on the inside of the rim.
The tracking being out won't help either.

Is this car lowered?

Why have you bothered replacing all these things if you only bought it last week. Regardless of what the dealer is telling you it is HIS responsibilty to make sure this car is in a good road worthy condition.
Did the dealer give you a warranty with this motor?

Don't do anything more to this car or you will be blamed for the faults. Get it checked over ASAP.

·
Registered
274 Posts
any motor i buy gets taken to the garage to get checked over as i never trust an MOT certificate, it's only really valid for the day it is issued!

i learned my lesson after i bought a 406 from a puegeot mechanic( i pick the car up from him at his pug dealership workplace) it had a full MOT and he told me what he had repaired/replaced.......you would think that you could trust a mechanic who is trained to repair the kind of car you are buying. then after 3 months my problems started, all the discs had to be replaced as they were warped/rusted, the back brakes were not working at all so the back of the car was rising when you were braking.
then i was reversing out of a parking space that had a small dip in the road between the monoblock paving and the road(5 inches deep, 9 inches wide), the left front side of the car fell down with a crunch and the car woulodn't move. the bottom ball joint had unscrewed, the wheel collapsed and totally broke the drive shaft. had to get a recovery truck to take it to a garage and it cost me £350 to get it fixed.

i learned my lesson the hard way. if you buy a car make sure you have the funds in place to get the car checked before you buy it or staright after!

there should be information on the back of the MOT cert telling you what to do if you think that the car shouldn't have passed an MOT. i would take this further as the next car that gets sold with a dodgy MOT might be driven by a woman who has children in the car!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts