MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im just woundering if you can have the engine and bay steam cleaned on the zs v6 without any problem?
I had my last car(rover 200 1.6)steam cleaned with no problems but someone told me a v6 has to many electrically components and wouldnt like having it done.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but i would like to hear the answer coz my ZS 1.8 is disgusting under the bonnet

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
No, No, No

It is an elbow greease job. Take the battery, battery bracket and charcoal cannister off. This gives a lot of room to get at the various mucky bits behind. The other thing that is well worthwhile is to remove the rusty bits of bracketry that were originally black, clean them up and resray them with a "direct to metal" type black spray. Why not buy some stainless cap head screws, the 12mm long variety fron screwfix can be used to replace a lot of the underbonnet screws and look good:

Don't forget the washers!

The reason for not steamcleaning is that the plastics used for the various electrical connectors etc. absorb moisture. When they dry out, the moisture can enter areas that are supposed to be sealed resulting in corrosion and something nasty called dendritic growth which can result in shorting. Individual ignition coils can be very sensitive to water due tot he high voltages.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree with sheddist, an elbow grease job!

Get a damp cloth, clean all the areas what are dirty, then once finished, rinse the cloth, and repeat until you are happy that the dirty has been taken off, then after that wipe over with a clean microfibre cloth and the finish by dressing the engine using a liquid wax like turtle speed wax, wipe over and buff off, that way you will have no future problems when the engine bay gets dirty, just a wipe and its clean again.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Yes,
No problems, simple spannering using 8/10mm sockets. just make sure you have your radio code before removing the battery.

Things like the throttle body and alloy castings also clean up well with a toothbrush and cif. Expect oil coming out of the throttle body if yours is a 180.

Using a wax as a cleaner/sealer works well. Just make sure it is a wax not a polish. Polishes leave white residue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts