MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
488 Posts
I appreciate that, but I have become somewhat disenfranchised with the mechanic now and will not be taking it back there. He has made various claims, such as the starting issue was the immobiliser, or the battery, or that he couldn't recreate the issue and it starts fine for him. He said he checked the fault codes and there are none reported - I have never been able to get it to communicate with an ODB reader and have read that is a known issue with the Chinese models.

I may be wrong, but I wonder whether he even replaced the starter motor previously at this point. I have a new one on order and will be attempting to replace it myself in the coming weeks - once I get the old one out at least I can see if it is indeed a new one.
Just have a go at it. As I said if you have the tools and flexible arms you can do it! Any problems you have the forum to fall back on, so keep posting. Regards. D4KGP.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
To report back on this, today I decided to replace the starter motor myself. Removed the inspection hatch and the negative battery terminal, managed to undo the bolt holding the main cables to the starter, came to remove the spade connector and found it was already disconnected. After checking, the connection seemed really loose and flappy so I wondered if perhaps it had been working loose during driving? Rather than change the whole thing (I can confirm it is a new starter BTW) I opted to tighten the spade with some grips and push it on firmly and securely, then reconnect the starter and see if the issue was resolved. Result! So far it starts fine now and seems to be OK.

I'm a little disappointed the garage didn't check that, but you live and learn. So now I have a brand-new starter motor I don't need (hopefully), but that is a small price to pay really in the long run. Just glad it seems to be resolved for now.

Thanks again for all the guidance and support, as always the forum has been a valuable resource.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,188 Posts
Rather than change the whole thing (I can confirm it is a new starter BTW) I opted to tighten the spade with some grips and push it on firmly and securely, then reconnect the starter and see if the issue was resolved. Result! So far it starts fine now and seems to be OK.
Cough.....did I not mention this in the 4th post

You can get to this wire through the boot area, best way to check if its the issues is to get your hand down to it and wiggle it whilst getting someone else to crank the engine...if it starts try closing the spade connector contacts a tad and pushing back on then try again.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,188 Posts
With all due respect, I wouldn't know until I got into the guts of the engine and checked. I did say thank you for the advice and of course I appreciate your guidance. Maybe don't be so smug and just say "well done"?
Put my comment above as a joke rather than being smug, glad you got it sorted it out and must be rewarding having sorted it yourself. Just a shame as you also mention the garage not sorting it out.

·
Registered
97 BRG MGF. 2009 SKODA SUPERB.
488 Posts
To report back on this, today I decided to replace the starter motor myself. Removed the inspection hatch and the negative battery terminal, managed to undo the bolt holding the main cables to the starter, came to remove the spade connector and found it was already disconnected. After checking, the connection seemed really loose and flappy so I wondered if perhaps it had been working loose during driving? Rather than change the whole thing (I can confirm it is a new starter BTW) I opted to tighten the spade with some grips and push it on firmly and securely, then reconnect the starter and see if the issue was resolved. Result! So far it starts fine now and seems to be OK.

I'm a little disappointed the garage didn't check that, but you live and learn. So now I have a brand-new starter motor I don't need (hopefully), but that is a small price to pay really in the long run. Just glad it seems to be resolved for now.

Thanks again for all the guidance and support, as always the forum has been a valuable resource.
Hi great news let's hope it stays ok. Do you know if the seller of the new motor accepts returns? But maybe the return postage costs would outweigh any possible refund. Regards. D4KGP.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts