MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off, I'm gonna assume this is a K-series problem as the wife's old 200 bubble used to do this. If I stall her, or I'm a bit to quick with the ignition key, she doesn't like restarting much, and turns over several times before firing properly. She doesn't do it if she's left for a couple of minutes (like when filling with petrol). So whats going on? Is it just new plugs time?

·
Registered
196 Posts
What about the battery does it need chargeing or replaceing i had that with my last battery it was saying it was ok Green light but was not chargeing too good i was told it was chargeing lieka car 10 yrs older may not solve the problem but worth a look.

download

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
I think its the mems cold start something or other, puts more fuel in to start, you stall it, restart, puts more fuel in.........possibly :dunno:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's not just the K-Series engines, a lot of other makes start better from cold (or after sitting for a few minutes).

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its something like that, I almost thought it was a hot start problem, but only does it after stalling (not that I ever do that, being a pro n all....) or if I let go of the ignition ket too soon.

Batteries fine, alternators fine, she starts without a problem every other time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
STEVEN_NORFIELD said:
OK, first off, I'm gonna assume this is a K-series problem as the wife's old 200 bubble used to do this. If I stall her, or I'm a bit to quick with the ignition key, she doesn't like restarting much, and turns over several times before firing properly. She doesn't do it if she's left for a couple of minutes (like when filling with petrol). So whats going on? Is it just new plugs time?
Hi, It's perfectly normal for it to do this, as when you leave the car for over 30 seconds or so, it will 'prime' the fuel system by supplying a 12v feed to the fuel pump. This brings the system upto pressure, and makes for better/easier starting. when the car stalls or cuts out, the system is not primed and the pump only runs on a 6v feed, as for normal running, so the pressure takes a little while to build. This is the most likely explanation, but there are other things to take into account, like temperature, starter motor condition etc etc.

Kris

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slashformayor said:
Hi, It's perfectly normal for it to do this, as when you leave the car for over 30 seconds or so, it will 'prime' the fuel system by supplying a 12v feed to the fuel pump. This brings the system upto pressure, and makes for better/easier starting. when the car stalls or cuts out, the system is not primed and the pump only runs on a 6v feed, as for normal running, so the pressure takes a little while to build. This is the most likely explanation, but there are other things to take into account, like temperature, starter motor condition etc etc.

Kris
Surely it primes it when you turn the key? I can hear the pump before firing her up. She sarts 100% fine any other time.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The priming only takes place after 30 seconds or so of the ignition being turned off. When the car stalls or cuts out the key is still in the II position, so the ignition is still on as it were. You will obviously hear the pump running, but it will be running at 6v which is engine running speed. The 12v is literally to pressurize the system due to fuel draining back into the tank, and/or cold starts etc. The simple answer is not to stall! JK :)

Kris

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think you could start a car from the I position if it's stalled? I always have to twist it back to O or all I get is the battery dash light coming on.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I believe the reason for the delay in being able to start it after a stall is a preventative measure to stop the engine flooding. If you stall there is a chance that there will still be un-burnt fuel in the cylinders, so when you restart you don’t want to add too more fuel straight away as it will flood. Therefore there is a delay in the ECU software for hot-starts, to allow the majority of the un-burnt fuel to evaporate prior to re-starting and injecting more fuel. There is no need for priming on a hot start as the fuel will still be under pressure and will not have drained from the pipework, thus priming is only required for cold starts.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
exactly, but the car will still prime if the engine has been left for over 30 seconds, whether it is hot or cold. I haven't seen a Rover that hasn't. I'm not sure on the twisting to 0 position first before restarting, i'm sure my F goes by just flicking it back to the crank position without going back to 0 position. I was driving my dads Rover 75 diesel last night, and you are physically unable to flick it back to crank without going to 0 position first.

Kris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts