MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So I have a bit of an issue that’s really bugging me.
So the Zr hasn’t always been a fan of starting straight away you normally have to pump the gas a million times before it starts. Was plugged in at an mot garage and it said that the camshaft sensor was faulty. New one brought and fitted started almost straight away (turnt about 2 times)with foot on throttle. However I think it could be fuel As if you turn it off then start it straight away it’s fine but if you turn it off leave for a minute it wont start unless you pump the throttle a dozen times.

Took it to garage, put some fuel in it. She didn’t wanna know until I pumped throttle about 20 times then also about 5 times under the bonnet then she started no hassle I’ll add that once’s she’s running she drives like a dream.
New fuel pump has been fitted, there’s fuel getting to filter and the emergency cut off has been checked. I’m really stumped and just want to get this sorted. hmmmmm 😑

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,586 Posts
Not sure what to make of that - assuming it is a petrol, I normally expect a K series to fire up immediately.

My suspicion would be a sensor problem - have you had the fault codes read? as any logged faults may help give a clue. Crank sensor would be a possibility.

Another possibility is timing being slightly out, although it probably would not run right once started.

However, if it is a diesel, timing being slightly out is the most common reason for poor starting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what to make of that - assuming it is a petrol, I normally expect a K series to fire up immediately.

My suspicion would be a sensor problem - have you had the fault codes read? as any logged faults may help give a clue. Crank sensor would be a possibility.

Another possibility is timing being slightly out, although it probably would not run right once started.

However, if it is a diesel, timing being slightly out is the most common reason for poor starting.
hiya, yeah petrol 1.8. It’s had a new crank sensor fitted. Timing has been checked several times by several people. It’s just very puzzling hahah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts