MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, after having driven 60 miles home on a very wet motorway, and parked up for not much more than 20 minutes, then wanting to start the car and drive to a mates, I turned the ignition key as normal to position II, and then went to fire up the engine, and........ nothing!

Not a click, not a whir, absolutely nothing. Oh, bugger! SO I turned the key right back, and tried again, and nothing. THis happened about five or six times. DUring which I tried activating and deactivating the alarm, incase it wasn't disarming the immobiliser or something, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

In the end, for no apparent reason, the engine fired up as normal, as if nothing was wrong. Very strange, and I can only imagine it's possibly something to do with large amounts of water spray getting onto electrics or something?

Any clues? It seems to be OK now mind, touch wood!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can't say for sure, but I had this problem on my old coupe and it was a connection problem on the starter motor. The spade connectors must have become corroded or worked loose a little causing what you described to happen intermittently. I found reaching down (carefully, if the engine is hot!) and giving the connectors a good push would work, and eventually they just seemed to stay put!

Worth a try anyway if it does it again!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could well be. I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback. It can't be anything serious, because it's started fine since. I think the amount of standing water on the M4, apart from being extremely dangerous (surely roads should be engineered to drain away water properly?) must be thrown up into the engine bay and possibly getting on connectors it wouldn't normally get at, causing dodgy connections. I'll have a look tomorrow. THanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could well be. I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback. It can't be anything serious, because it's started fine since. I think the amount of standing water on the M4, apart from being extremely dangerous (surely roads should be engineered to drain away water properly?) must be thrown up into the engine bay and possibly getting on connectors it wouldn't normally get at, causing dodgy connections. I'll have a look tomorrow. THanks again.
You think the M4 is bad? try the A1-M1 Link road that was completed a few years ago - they made a mistake when they designed it, and as a result the water doesn't drain at all, making it a serious risk when it's only slightly raining ! Even after an investigation, no change has been made to it!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sprayed some WD40 equivalent on the connectors to the starter motor, and touch wood, it's been fine so far. Only time will tell I guess! But cheers for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts