MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my starter off today, 10 teeth and its 1.4 kw. Part: NAD10050. There are quite a few on the bay but most are stated as 1.1kw. So my question is would it be ok to use the 1.1 as I can't seem to find one rated at 1.4kw. Can I test my old one by just connecting up to battery terminals with cable? (1.8 non vvc 1997) Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. You can connect the old starter to a battery. Connect the positive to the starters positive post and the negative to the starters body. Hold the starter with your foot and connect another cable between the positive and the starters t50 input.
If its good the starter will spin but it won't tell you if it can work under load.
Not sure about the kW rating though. Sorry.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. You can connect the old starter to a battery. Connect the positive to the starters positive post and the negative to the starters body. Hold the starter with your foot and connect another cable between the positive and the starters t50 input.
If its good the starter will spin but it won't tell you if it can work under load.
Not sure about the kW rating though. Sorry.
Hi, thanks for that.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
893 Posts
I don't know what the kW rating is, but I am using the later Bosch starter motor, NAD101340, on both of our early Fs without an issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what the kW rating is, but I am using the later Bosch starter motor, NAD101340, on both of our early Fs without an issue.
Hi do you know how many teeth it has? As the one I've taken off has 10 teeth. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
893 Posts
I don't know how many teeth it has, but I do recall fussing about it, but in the end the number of teeth on the starter doesn't affect if it works on the F/TF or not, they both do, they are interchangeable.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Not long ago I had same query from one other member on another forum, but in regard to same 1.8 VVC engine.

NAD10050 is early starter motor for 1.8 VVC up to year 2000 when it was replaced with NAD101340 starter motor.
NAD10050 has 10 teeth and NAD101340 has 12 teeth.
Both of these two starter motors will fit perfectly on existing flywheel nevertheless of number of teeth. So it fits early MGF and late MGTF all with 1.8 VVC engines.

However NAD10050 is 1.0 kW and NAD101304 is 1.1 kW

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not long ago I had same query from one other member on another forum, but in regard to same 1.8 VVC engine.

NAD10050 is early starter motor for 1.8 VVC up to year 2000 when it was replaced with NAD101340 starter motor.
Both of these two starter motors will fit perfectly on existing flywheel nevertheless of number of teeth. So it fits early MGF and late MGTF all with 1.8 VVC engines.

Hi I hate to correct you about NAD10050 because on mine the sticker states: NAD10050, Type M78R (1.4) other number on there is: 268350 Magneti Marelli. My F is a non VVC 1997 I'm not really sure if the 12 tooth will fit, also would 1.1kw be enough to turn the engine? Regards.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi do you know how many teeth it has? As the one I've taken off has 10 teeth. Thanks.
Hi yes the NAD101340 is rated at 1.1kw. You say they are interchangeable 12 & 10 teeth but doesn't the 12 tooth one have a bigger diameter cog or am I missing something here? Surely if its a bigger cog when its pushed forward towards the starter ring its just going to smash into it rather than engage in the ring. Yes? Regards.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Hi I hate to correct you about NAD10050 because on mine the sticker states: NAD10050, Type M78R (1.4) other number on there is: 268350 Magneti Marelli. My F is a non VVC 1997 I'm not really sure if the 12 tooth will fit, also would 1.1kw be enough to turn the engine? Regards.
Than it will be NAD10050 M78R 26835D, not 0 as the last digit. Yes M78R is 1.4 kW. However under same part number you will find several versions of starter motors. Usualy 1.0 kW was used on early MG F with MEMS 1.9 and 1.4 kW version was used on later MG TFs with MEMS 3.
However M78R under part number NAD10050 M78R with 1.4 kW can be seen at Land Rover cars with 1.8 engines which are non VVC ones.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,997 Posts
Hi yes the NAD101340 is rated at 1.1kw. You say they are interchangeable 12 & 10 teeth but doesn't the 12 tooth one have a bigger diameter cog or am I missing something here? Surely if its a bigger cog when its pushed forward towards the starter ring its just going to smash into it rather than engage in the ring. Yes? Regards.
It is the space between the teeth that makes the difference and how big that space is. At first I was also confused, but if you have possibility to compare all of them on the bench you will see why they fit.
However these starters must have correct MGRover part numbers in order to fit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Than it will be NAD10050 M78R 26835D, not 0 as the last digit. Yes M78R is 1.4 kW. However under same part number you will find several versions of starter motors. Usualy 1.0 kW was used on early MG F with MEMS 1.9 and 1.4 kW version was used on later MG TFs with MEMS 3.
However M78R under part number NAD10050 M78R with 1.4 kW can be seen at Land Rover cars with 1.8 engines which are non VVC ones.
Thanks for that, I've been thinking for some time that I need new glasses!! So do you think that the 1.1 will be man enough for my F? Many thanks. Regards.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is the space between the teeth that makes the difference and how big that space is. At first I was also confused, but if you have possibility to compare all of them on the bench you will see why they fit.
However these starters must have correct MGRover part numbers in order to fit.
Thanks again for all the help and advice you give. Regards.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,452 Posts
No; the starter motor gear should be slightly tapered, so will engage at the point where it touches. The more powerful starter motor uses a larger diameter gear because the extra power was introduced to spin the engine slightly faster to improve starting ability (particularly as the car battery ages and becomes tired). The same sized gear as the lower power motor has would still only spin the engine at the same speed.

The distance between the teeth on the flywheel ring is fixed, so the larger diameter gear requires two extra teeth to maintain the correct spacing (otherwise the spacing would not match the teeth on the flywheel ring, and they would not engage).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No; the starter motor gear should be slightly tapered, so will engage at the point where it touches. The more powerful starter motor uses a larger diameter gear because the extra power was introduced to spin the engine slightly faster to improve starting ability (particularly as the car battery ages and becomes tired). The same sized gear as the lower power motor has would still only spin the engine at the same speed.

The distance between the teeth on the flywheel ring is fixed, so the larger diameter gear requires two extra teeth to maintain the correct spacing (otherwise the spacing would not match the teeth on the flywheel ring, and they would not engage).
Hi thanks for the info, this forum has helped so much with help/advice on the journey of keeping my F running and on the road. I just wish that it would easier to get to some of the parts that needed replacing. Regards.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hi again. I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to get my starter repaired. I had forgotten that there was a repairer about 10 miles from where I live, thought they had gone out of business years ago like many others doing the same essential job. But to my delight they are still trading. So I just want to convey my thanks and gratitude to all those who gave me help/advice with regard to this matter. Regards. Glyn.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi again. I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to get my starter repaired. I had forgotten that there was a repairer about 10 miles from where I live, thought they had gone out of business years ago like many others doing the same essential job. But to my delight they are still trading. So I just want to convey my thanks and gratitude to all those who gave me help/advice with regard to this matter. Regards. Glyn.
Hi I got the motor back, refitted it and works fine. Very pleased with repair/refurbishment of the original. Cost £60 inc Vat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts