MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take the car out last night and had a problem starting. Unlocked OK, put the hood down, got in, tried to find the stereo facia, put the key in the ignition, turn - nothing but one click. Tried again - one click. Third time lucky starts OK.

Now I may vaguely remember seeing the alarm LED flashing whilst I was fishing around for the facia and the key/fob were still in my pocket so though it may have been the immobiliser - but it didn't beep at me.

Search of the forums suggests it could have been the battery but why did it work 3rd time.

Have to see how it goes today for the drive home. If it starts OK I'll try and get the immobiliser to kick in before starting and see if there's maybe an alarm problem.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Hi Pip,

additionally check the plugs of the starter motor.
Remove rust / verdigris and refit after using some pole grease.
I had the problem that the starter said nothing, even a clicky. After
the cleaning everything was nice again.

Hth :)

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Herbie said:
Hi Pip,
additionally check the plugs of the starter motor.
Remove rust / verdigris and refit after using some pole grease.
I had the problem that the starter said nothing, even a clicky. After
the cleaning everything was nice again.
Hth :)
Thanks Herbie, I'll give that a check this evening.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Pip said:
Went to take the car out last night and had a problem starting. Unlocked OK, put the hood down, got in, tried to find the stereo facia, put the key in the ignition, turn - nothing but one click. Tried again - one click. Third time lucky starts OK.

Now I may vaguely remember seeing the alarm LED flashing whilst I was fishing around for the facia and the key/fob were still in my pocket so though it may have been the immobiliser - but it didn't beep at me.

Search of the forums suggests it could have been the battery but why did it work 3rd time.

Have to see how it goes today for the drive home. If it starts OK I'll try and get the immobiliser to kick in before starting and see if there's maybe an alarm problem.
Hi Pip, I had a starter motor go on mine last year. It did the same thing. I had to drive around with a broom handle in the boot, if you want to get it going but can't off the key, the only way i found was to get someone to sit in the drivers seat and hold the key in the crank position, meanwhile you tap the starter solenoid with the broom handle. Started everytime with this until i had time to fix it, which is not a nice job btw!

Kris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts