MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

One of those stupid coffee break discussions at work last week, ended up asking the question:

Can you stall an Auto gearbox ?

One person seems to think it is possible, the rest are skeptics.

SO given the inventive bunch that you are, I thought I would ask you guys, can you ?

cheers

ian

·
Registered
469 Posts
I may be havin surgery on my left foot next week, if I do I'll be hiring an auto car for a few days a week.. I will try my very hardest to stall it! In
the name of science...

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If the engine managment and gearbox are working correctly then you can't stall it. If either aren't then yes you can.

·
Registered
236 Posts
of course you can wheelspin, have done so in my dads auto.

Have to admit that it is obviously not as easy to do as it is in a manual but it is still possible.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
cplnobbs said:
of course you can wheelspin, have done so in my dads auto.

Have to admit that it is obviously not as easy to do as it is in a manual but it is still possible.
Whack it in 1st or 2nd on the box and floor it seems to work well... esp when it's wet :D

I've driven several autos and never stalled one, the old volvo 340 used to stop occationally but that's coz the carb needed some work.... as said I think if everything is working as it should then ya canna stall it

G

·
E_T_V is spot on. Unless there is a fault somewhere (usually the torque convertor failing to unlock or a faulty engine idle system) then it will not normally stall.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
Drive roughly with an Automatic,can cause 'premature' tear & wear of the gearbox,don't ever try it "IF" it is your own car,or else prepared to spend huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$ for repair.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It's entirely possible to wheelspin an auto. Done it in a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado, a 2001 Lincoln Town Car, and my Rover.

It helps if the surface is uneven or one side is unweighted, (as in, you are starting with the steering turned slightly).

I've stalled an automatic or two, by the way. One was the Cadillac. A coked head meant that it was suffering from fuel starvation at low revs. Again, this is a stall caused by a fault, to be fair.

I've stalled the Rover a few times too. Was doing about once 40 and had to panic brake. Forgot all about cadence braking and locked it up. Engine sputtered and cut out. That was an odd set of circumstances too - it was at a low throttle setting prior to the skid and it was due a new fuel filter.

Other times it has happened is when starting from cold, (overnight), then going straight from Reverse to Drive without pausing (edit: not while moving, obviously). Presumably the (cold) gearbox provides resistance that the engine can't overcome at idle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the geezer in the office is right, in a narrow set of circumstances....

Never mind, I think it is cheating to have a broken car and then say it can stall....

thanks to all

cheers

Ian

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
chan chee hoe said:
Drive roughly with an Automatic,can cause 'premature' tear & wear of the gearbox,don't ever try it "IF" it is your own car,or else prepared to spend huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$ for repair.
Doesn't driving roughly with any gearbox or any component cause premature wear and tear ??

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
If you want a really quick getaway with an auto you can rev the engine with the footbrakes on then release the brakes :devil: .

But this can overheat the oil in the gearbox and bollox it up so it's prob best not to try this too often in your own car.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Orion said:
I've stalled the Rover a few times too. Was doing about once 40 and had to panic brake. Forgot all about cadence braking and locked it up. Engine sputtered and cut out.
Funny you should say that. Why do we forget how to control the car when having to brake suddenly or take sudden action.
Just the other day I forgot what my left foot was for. My 200 is a manual, but I had to brake all of a sudden to a full stop from about 40 and didn't even think about pressing in the clutch aswell as the brake. Car stalled and made me look a right tit. Then I made me self look an even bigger tit by trying to start the car still in gear.
I just forgot what to do all of a sudden. This ever happened to anyone else?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts