MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, recently when i turn on the engine for the first 20-30seconds there is a loud high pitch squeeling noise coming from the engine bay over my right shoulder, it ends after I start moving and putting some revs on.

Any ideas what this might be?

Rob.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Sounds like one of the belts, alternator or power steering.

Check its condition..fraying..splits etc... Also its tension. You should be able to push down on it slightly but not too much should be 'springy'

Might just need re tightening thats all. Its usually more evident on cool, damp mornings.

Sean

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
a slack alternator belt that probably needs replacing, get it checked out asap, if it snaps, it can take out the cam belt(s), which will take out the valves, which will take out your bank balance ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a slack alternator belt that probably needs replacing, get it checked out asap, if it snaps, it can take out the cam belt(s), which will take out the valves, which will take out your bank balance ;)
sounds like thats the chappy! Is it a DIY thing if I buy one or should be done by an expert?

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts

Shouldn't really take out the cam belts as they are behind the cover. I'm sure it is possible, but unlikely.

To change is fairly simple but a bit of a ball ache.

You will need a 13 mm spanner.

First jack the car up and support on axle stands.
Then remove the driver's side rear wheel.
You will see a sort of black squishy panel. This is held on by some plastic screws. If you can get those screws out then do and move the panel a bit to get access. But in all likelihood the cross heads will just sheer.

If you look at the engine, you will see a big pulley at the bottom. There is a belt going round this (4 groove belt I think). This is the alternator belt.

If you follow the belt round then going anti clockwise you will come to the air con (If fitted) and then the alternator. Both of these have grooved pulley wheels on them. Then after the alternator the belt passes under another smooth wheel. This is the tensioner pulley.

The tensioner pulley is mounted on a cast metal part. This has a 13mm hex shaped "Head" next to the pulley. Put a spanner on this and try moving in both directions. When you move in one direction you should see the belt slacken off. Whilst holding the tensioner in a slackened position slip the belt of the alternator pulley (Or whichever one you can get access to).

To fit the new belt, simply put it over the crankshaft pulley first then around the other pulleys as the old one was, again you will need to pull the tensioner into the slackened position to be able to get the belt over the last pulley.

The biggest problem on the MGF is access to the tensioner. You may find it easier from above, for which you will have to remove the hood and engien bay access panel.

Shaf

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,188 Posts
Shouldn't really take out the cam belts as they are behind the cover. I'm sure it is possible, but unlikely.

Shaf
I don't understand why it happens but it does happen, there have been a number of cases on this forum and others.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

To change is fairly simple but a bit of a ball ache.

You will need a 13 mm spanner.

First jack the car up and support on axle stands.
Then remove the driver's side rear wheel.
You will see a sort of black squishy panel. This is held on by some plastic screws. If you can get those screws out then do and move the panel a bit to get access. But in all likelihood the cross heads will just sheer.

If you look at the engine, you will see a big pulley at the bottom. There is a belt going round this (4 groove belt I think). This is the alternator belt.

If you follow the belt round then going anti clockwise you will come to the air con (If fitted) and then the alternator. Both of these have grooved pulley wheels on them. Then after the alternator the belt passes under another smooth wheel. This is the tensioner pulley.

The tensioner pulley is mounted on a cast metal part. This has a 13mm hex shaped "Head" next to the pulley. Put a spanner on this and try moving in both directions. When you move in one direction you should see the belt slacken off. Whilst holding the tensioner in a slackened position slip the belt of the alternator pulley (Or whichever one you can get access to).

To fit the new belt, simply put it over the crankshaft pulley first then around the other pulleys as the old one was, again you will need to pull the tensioner into the slackened position to be able to get the belt over the last pulley.

The biggest problem on the MGF is access to the tensioner. You may find it easier from above, for which you will have to remove the hood and engien bay access panel.

Shaf
Cheers Mate, Will give it a go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts