MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya every1 im a new member as of yesturday and quite a new mgf owner aswell =) iv recently had the most annoying squeaks coming from my brakes every time i push on the pedal, it seems to be coming from the front, i was wandering if anyone else has this problem with theres? and is it something we will just have to live with? cheers

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Seems to be missing copper grease on the backside of the pads. They have to be removed for checking and retreating. If it's the rear it could be worn pads, there's a metal clip as a warning sign, when braking (causes a metallic noise)

Edit to add: my fronts are squeaking as well, I don't care tbh ;)

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah ha that makes sense thankyou!well do you think its goin to do any harm?if not ill let it be and try my best to ignore it lol

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i have and they seem fine no deteriating or signs of a fault thats why i dont understand the squeaking

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
if its the fronts, could be either dust, or a particularly hard bit on the pad, if its dust a good clean and copper grease should cure, if the pads, it will go after the hard part has worn off.

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks broon!! =)ya know what we was talkin about earlier via emaildo you think i could do that to my leather steering wheel aswell????

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
hey thanks broon!! =)ya know what we was talkin about earlier via emaildo you think i could do that to my leather steering wheel aswell????
I wouldnt have thoguht so. It gets used too much. Dont think I have seen a silver S/wheel to be honest on a an F

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wouldnt have thoguht so. It gets used too much. Dont think I have seen a silver S/wheel to be honest on a an F
Welcome to the forum chili_pea

I have the same brake noise as you do which started immediately after a service when the pads were changed! I have just ignored it so far. It actually goes away when it is raining :lol:

I have seen a black and silver steering wheel on a silver F and was going to get one for mine but being a stepspeed I couldn't find one. I then changed the interior and wanted a red one. I spoke with Victoria at the MGF centre and she said they could re-cover mine. They would send me a cheap plastic wheel while I sent mine for covering and I could through the cheap one away when I got mine back. Half way down this page http://www.mgfcentre.com/leather_interiors.htm

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's illegal in certain countries :lol:
haha pete u cheeky fang! thanks daved, thats funny mine dont squeak in the rain either myb we've got the same brake disease :p i like those steering wheels
that would look nice deffo worth a phone call when i get paid me thinks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I found the AP brakes on my TF 160 really noisy. I changed the pads for EBC Greenstuff ones and things are much better. Might be worth trying if the other (cheaper!) solutions that have been posted don't work?

·
Registered
mg_tf
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah might be worth thinking about i spose. i think ill see how it goes for the next couple a months and see if the pad wears down like pete said and if its still squeaking at me ill consider new ones :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts