MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having an issue with my R25 TD, as i am driving along my left brake assembly is making a horrible squeaking sound that gets faster the faster i go. Not sure which bit is making the noise or if it is both sides. Someone must know how to fix this.
Also does anybody know if a set of MG ZR 120 brake calipers will fit my 25TD?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
any vibration through the wheel???

could be warped disks or a stickking caliper.

yes the vented setup will fit, you'll need calipers carriers disks and pads, identical setup to the vented rover 200's/400's 25's/45's so loads of cars you can get them from

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a little vibration under heavy braking but nothing at low speeds. cant be bothered buying the whole setup, just my local garage is quoting £80 plus labor for each side. :eek:mg2:

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Err have you checked to see if the shims are all in the right places and that you have lots of brake pad material left on the pads? It could be as simple as the pads are worn out!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just picked up a set of vented disks, pads, calipers and carriers for my 420.

£25 the lot from a local scrappers, is that a bargain or what?

Discs look like they've only done a couple of thow, pads still have about 8-10mm on em.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
kamal said:

Discs look like they've only done a couple of thow, pads still have about 8-10mm on em.
What car and model did you get those off Kamal ? and what wheel size did it have ? Will it fit under my 14's ? Thanks.

Squeaking front brake ? you could have a little stone stuck in between one of the discs and pads if its not one of the reasons given above. Also the slightest smear of copper grease on the BACK of the offending pads should help. You will have to take them out to do that, smear, then re-insert.

·
Registered
463 Posts
They're off a rover 400 saloon, not sure what engine cos it didn't have one in.

14'' shouldn't be a problem cos they look the same size (just thicker) but I'd get someone to second that.

The post from AndBurG gave me the go ahead, so thanks AndBurG!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Moved to Ask the Gurus as it isn't really a diesel issue and a wider audience may appreciate and benefit from the thread.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, my front disc brakes are warped, and was wondering how much a cheap set of front discs cost?? i have a 1.4 16V rover 200, s-reg.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Not a great deal £20-30 or so if you fit them yourself.

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
kamal said:

I wouldn't recommend re-using the old pads though; there are so many fakes around of poor quality that it's not worth the gamble on such a (relatively) low cost item. Assuming the other components are all good you've got a bargain even if you add the extra costs of new pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts