MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's one for you guru's =)

today noticed under heavy acceleration there seems to be a light squeaking grinding sound. The only way I can describe it is it sound like a turbo charged car spooling up lol. It does sound nice =S but obviously it worries me as it shouldn't do that!

When the car is not in motion and you hold the revs the sound is not there.

So I put it down to the pads rubbing on the discs when I accelerate…but saying that, I never get this sound during braking.

so could it be this?
there seems to be a light squeaking grinding sound. The only way I can describe it is it sound like a turbo charged car spooling up lol. It does sound nice =S but obviously it worries me as it should do that! [/SIZE][/FONT]

When the car is not in motion and you hold the revs the sound is not there.

So I put it down to the pads rubbing on the discs when I accelerate…but saying that, I never get this sound during braking.

so could it be this?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont know my way around cars very well, but im assuming id have to get into the engine bay to check that? :errx2:

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
having anotherl isten to it today it sounds more like traped air escaping from the rear right. it's not much of a sqeaking at all it's more of a whistle.

spoke to my girlfriend today she said it has been doing it for a couple of months now... :eek:mg2: ive never noticed it.

details about car. miledge is 53k now so coming up to it's cambelt change soon. should i be worried?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
or it may simply be the whine that many TF'ers get?? Can't quite put our fingers on exactly what it is but it sounds like it comes from the top of the engine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If the sound is a little like a super charger whine then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Quite a few TF's have this noise although most never notice it, just get a new exhaust to mask the noise! ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
My F does this too - it's annoying isn't it!! On mine I can only hear it with the roof or window down, and it only does it over 4k revs. Up to 4k it is fine, but as soon as you go over it starts whistling - although I would definitely describe mine as more of a whistle than a squeal...

Have had it looked at and diagnosed as air escaping from the exhaust system under pressure, but they were unable to pinpoint where... anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
must just be that then! seeing as my girlfriend said it has been there for ages. i've never noticed it! =)

tompickett2
i don't find it that anoying now knowing it's not a problem :lol: quite like the sound lol! always dreams of installing a supercharger or turo =p

i did the worrying thing of driving slowly everywhere for 2 days glad i can get out of it now lol.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Mine does it and I hate it! I wish it would go away! The thing is you can only make it go away by doing lots of miles keeping the revs low. And I just don't do that. :indiff:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts