MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAd to replace the front springs on my 75 since one broke.

Looked under the rear seat for the do not remove sticker giving details of the colour code of the springs required.

Sticker tells me that right spring is PG and left is JG. Now both PG and JG are for springs marked with a dab of green and blue paint. Both come up as the same part number as you would expect.

But why should the left and right spring be given a different code which ends up as the same colour combination ???

What have I missed here ?

Any ideas guys ??

·
Registered
35,698 Posts
I'm not sure why they do, but the codes have always been different from left to right, despite them being the same colour and having the same part number.

One of those very strange phenomenans - maybe someone that worked in development at MG Rover could explain?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ian - glad to know that the oddity is normal !!!

But it does make you wonder why anybody looking to allocate a code for green/blue or blue/green could'nt come up with GB or BG (or GNB or BGN just in case grey is used as well)

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Front Damper & Spring Assembly are Coded Together

HAd to replace the front springs on my 75 since one broke.

Looked under the rear seat for the do not remove sticker giving details of the colour code of the springs required.

Sticker tells me that right spring is PG and left is JG. Now both PG and JG are for springs marked with a dab of green and blue paint. Both come up as the same part number as you would expect.

But why should the left and right spring be given a different code which ends up as the same colour combination ???

What have I missed here ?

Any ideas guys ??
The reference sticker under the rear seat is referring to the Damper AND Front Spring. these assemblies are handed hence the different codes. You will have the same colour coded rated springs on each side.

On the rears, the coding is broken out. This is probably because there are self levelling options, or harder springs for the tourer etc when compared to the saloon.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just to clarify, the springs themselves are not handed, only the struts. Also, having recently removed my springs in order to lower my '05 ZT190, I noticed no colour coding at all on the springs.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.