MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi can any one help i own a rover 75 2000 reg with 32000 miles on the clock it is a club se 2litre v6 my front suspesion spring has broken passenger side i purchased the car from reg vardey wton they will replace the spring under warrenty they will not replace both is this a safe course of action any advice will be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
it is not safe to replace just one spring!!

they are sold in pairs just like dampers so im not sure how they are buying just one spring.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
ml.williams said:
they are sold in pairs just like dampers so im not sure how they are buying just one spring.
That's what I was thinking, just like brake discs and pads, sold in pairs and definitely the safer option to install as a pair - maybe they buy the pairs and just stock them and use them as necessary, unlike the average joe they will be guaranteed of needing the second one sometime.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Vincero said:
That's what I was thinking, just like brake discs and pads, sold in pairs and definitely the safer option to install as a pair - maybe they buy the pairs and just stock them and use them as necessary, unlike the average joe they will be guaranteed of needing the second one sometime.
nope at work we seel them in sealed bags together and they are only ever fited as a pair even if one spring is brokon. odd springs would give a large inbalance in the cars handling as the old sping will have a lower rating due to its uses

this sounds like they are trying to scam u so they can get u to buy the "second spring" and pay for the compleet set so it cost them nothing to fix.

if the continue to insist on fiting the one spring try geting it in righting and book it in for a weeks time take the evedance to trading standereds and screw them over. i would consider droping them in it when they fix the car regardless this is just outragus practice

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
check that your car isnt one that is in the vin range of the replacement spring recall. MGR will do the work for free even if it is a 2000MY car as its a recall not standard warranty work.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Well said Matt - ask the dealer to check the recall status of the car concerning the front coil springs.

Coil springs are sold seperately.

If you have an insurance backed warranty, they'll only pay for what is broken - so you can't expect them to replace the other spring.

You'd be wise to pay for that to be done, it needs a special spring compressor to do the job.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
The recall work also involves fitting a 'spring catcher' fitted to the strut platform which prevents the broken spring dropping and puncturing the tyre, with obvious safety implications.CAM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts