MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right then peeps,

as alot of you know like to do painting as a hobbie, however i am starting to move up from small items to pannels and so i require a new gun, and there is my question :)

anyone know where to get a good gun from, what shouldi go for std suction or gravity fed???

also what would be the best brand, keeping servicing parts in mind :)

cheers, simon :beer:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Stick with suction, any gun from the likes of Draper would be fine.

...unless you have the money for a Devilbiss gun :err:

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well at the mo i have a clarke pro one but it has a heavy spot which i can; get rid of :***: and it;s a bit heavy too :boxedin:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Before splashing out on a new gun make sure that your compressor has a decent delivery of air, ideally you need a 14cfm so you can use a air fed mask and a spray gun at the same time, as for spray guns I prefer the gravity fed as they are far easier to clean and more balanced when full of paint, plus they contain fewer seals and parts to go wrong, machine mart have a good selection of their own branded guns which are basically copies of the Sata brand and work very well, when buying make sure the amount of air they use do not exeed the amount of air which your compressor can push out or you will only be able to use your gun for short periods before running out of air which aint very good if your halfway down the panel your spraying.

See pic below for one of machine marts gravity fed guns.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a Devilbiss gun but they are expensive, get the most expensive gun you can afford but as someone said above make sure the compressor has enough in reserve to power it. The more expensive gun the better finish straight from the gun = less rubbing down and prep work.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my compressor is half decent, it aint quite up for the job but it has a good freeflow cfm so it's adiquate to get through coat on a pannel.

my main thinking is gravity fed or suction, canne make me mind up :iwstupid:

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
Argos had one a while back, and i read a post on here and saw some work done with it and it was very good, not sure if that is a help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine is suction but looking back i wish i bought the gravity feed version. On the suction version there is always a little waste left in the pot which is a little annoying if your only painting small bits and pieces, but i think the suction version can hold more paint.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I cant see that 0.6L been a problem for home diy use, you can paint a full side out with that much paint, most decent bodyshops use gravity fed nowadays with the 3m disposable pot system so you can refil within seconds, at the end of the day though its your choice, but I know which I would rather have.

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
Once you try a gravity feed you'll never go back to a suction.

A suction requires a bigger tank capacity and CFM delivery, its also harder to clean and it always leaves the last drop of paint in the pot.

Devilbiss guns ARE the best money can buy, but unless your doing spraying on a regular basis , not worth the expense. A middle range gun gets quite close.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think you meant suction here mate

MGTurbo said:
A gravity requires a bigger tank capacity and CFM delivery, its also harder to clean and it always leaves the last drop of paint in the pot.QUOTE]

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not entirely sure what clarke model i have but it was about £60, main reason for me wanting a new gun is the un-even fan it has, which causes a heavy patch, it's fine for painting little things but when it comes to pannel work i want something good :)

recomendations for a gravity fed then??? :p

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
Si said:
not entirely sure what clarke model i have but it was about £60, main reason for me wanting a new gun is the un-even fan it has, which causes a heavy patch, it's fine for painting little things but when it comes to pannel work i want something good :)

recomendations for a gravity fed then??? :p
Top or bottom heavy is caused by a blockage in the mixing cap usually. Remove the cap, soak in thinners and use a nylon brush to clean any residue off and give it another go.

Defo Sealey for a gravity feed.

Here's a basic one - http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=7927

Mine is similar to this - http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=8194

Identical to this =

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i gathered that, ii have cleaned and cleaned hll i even ordered a replacement cap but to no avail, i think it's just a pap gun in genral :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts