MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
ive just split my back window when i put the roof down. were can i get a new one. how do i replace it, do i need a whole new roof.
To replace you just drill out the rivets under the window and the window zips out. You put in the new one and then replace the rivets with a rivert gun. I did mine (with my dad) and I was no mechanic thats for sure.

As for where..I will let someone else answer that. HAve a look at usual MGF parts places, and of course, good old ebay.

You will be looking at around 100 pounds plus for a new one

·
Registered
249 Posts
When you have your rear screen sorted try unzipping the screen before pulling the hood down. This will prevent this happening again. Take care and hood down all the way

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
164 Posts
chester, would you come and do the job on my drive. what do you charge
Sorry no that is too far from me. If you want it done tomorrow I cant help you.
If you have no joy getting it fixed you could always remove it yourself and post it to me, eg. if it was removed on a Monday and sent to me special delivery I would get it Tuesday, I would replace the screen and return it to you the same day you would have it back Wednesday. Other option is to bring the car to me and I will do it for you. I have copied the removal instructions for you.

MGF REAR WINDOW REMOVAL

Drill sizes 3.5mm

First it's best to unscrew and remove the aerial

Release the hood at the front then unclip the 5 clips at the back of the, pull parcel shelf pull the carpet forward to do this. Unzip the window, remove the small metal clip and Velcro on the end of the zip and undo completely.

Lift the back of the hood and cover the car with a sheet or blanket. Drill out the rivets with the 3.5 drill bit, where the hood overlaps the window section drill out the first 2 rivets and bend back carefully to get to the remaining rivets holding the window.

Remove the retaining bar. ( when replacing the retaining bar you will notice that all the holes are oval except one the central one is a circle.)

Refitting it the reverse of the above.

It’s best when refitting to put all the rivets in place before closing them up as this enables you to adjust as necessary,( A Tip) once you have the rivets in place partially close one end rivet as this holds it in place but still allows movement, then close the other end rivet, (which should now be easier to get in place. ) completely. once they are all in place then close them up, when this is done you can replace the last two on either side.

Please note, DO NOT remove the plastic screen from the window before posting for repair or the shape will be lost, if it is badly split it is best to tape it up.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the instructions, i will probaly order one and refit a new one with a friend. if i have probs i would bring the car to you to fix. do you have an email address if i need to contact you.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
164 Posts
thanks for the instructions, i will probaly order one and refit a new one with a friend. if i have probs i would bring the car to you to fix. do you have an email address if i need to contact you.
My email is [email protected] when you buy your new window make sure the zips match...they changed late 96 / early 97 I think, the earlier zip is smaller than the later one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.