MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, today i wheel spinned my 620ti in first gear and the front end bounced up and down a few times, and straight away the speedo stopped working

now and again it goes up and down as if there a connection but doesnt stay there for more than 1/2 a second.

has this happened to any one before?

is the speedo electric or cable driven?

is there just a connector that i just push back into place?

oh and ive recently had my clutch changed too
cheers
john

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Hmm have you checked the diff bearings recently? The speedo packing up is often not a good sign for the gearbox.

On the brighter side it could just be that the cable has popped out of the box, there is only a tiny clip holding them in I think.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phew! just been to the car and that speedo thing on the gearbox had popped out, pushed it back in and its fine :)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
phew! just been to the car and that speedo thing on the gearbox had popped out, pushed it back in and its fine :)
Should not do that ~ they are either a screw fit or on early cars, retained by a spring clip which locates into a slot and locks the electric transducer in place.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well it keeps doing it so im going to get it looked at this week.
cheers
john

could this idicate a worn diff?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi ,

just had another quick look at it and i pulled it and the whole transducer thing popped right out.

i popped it back in but im wondering if the spring clip has been damaged by my mechanic when he has taken it in/out ?
any ideas? or is this my diff dieing?

thanks
john

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
diff dying starts with oil leak from passenger drive shaft & too much play in shaft.Would take it easy with 100k on clock as its probably ready to go

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, oil is fine no leaks at all, and i just put some new mtf 94 in, box is makes no noises what so ever.

when i drained it, the gearbox oil level was to the top.

·
Registered
rover_600
933 Posts
speedo drive is supposed to be held in by a bolt if I remember rightly,will just jump out all the time if missing-I had to buy a new speedo drive when I did box because I broke the top half of electronic sender-they break easy so be careful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts