MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have just bought an import 96 reg MGF and found the speedo was in kilometers. I was going to replace the whole speedo assembly as there was one on ebay however came across this speedo facia conversion to mph on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-MGF-150...ryZ72216QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

Any builds if this will do the job and also if so how difficult will it be to fit, any instructions or pointers to where I can find instructions will be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Rob

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Looks like it should do the job but it also looks like you would need to remove the needle to fit it, which is not easy as they are very easy to break.

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply sharkymgf, is getting as far as the needle reasonably easy strip down please.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Yep pretty easy to get that far. The instrument binnacle trim is attached with 4 screws, 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom. Undo these and lower the steering column as far as it will go (assuming yours is adjustable) and remove the binnacle trim.
Next undo the 2 screws either side holding the instrument cluster which should then allow you to move it forward enough so you can reach behind to unplug the wiring connectors and speedo cable before removing the instrument cluster. The plastic screen then simply unclips with 2 clips top & bottom, and you then have access to the instrument faces.
It may even be possible to remove the plastic screen while the instruments are still connected, which would make life even easier.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
It may even be possible to remove the plastic screen while the instruments are still connected, which would make life even easier.
IIRC though Steve is the 'screen' not glued on??..

Seem to recall a few posts with people fitting those chrome/alloy idiot lights clock surrounds, and cracking the plastic trying to remove it!.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
The screen is glued to a plastic trim that just clips on the the instrument cluster. There is no need to separate the screen from the surround unless you want to fit some one of those chrome/alloy instrument trim things.

Edit: just found this pic of mine. This is what the instrument cluster looks like once the screen/trim has been unclipped. It clips into the 4 rectangular hole you can see top & bottom.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In my experience (short) the speedo's way-out anyway, you could just make do with a sat/nav if you got one? if not it's an excuse to get one :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts