MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok after my oil problems i thought the trip would be fine , after forty mile my boot lid opened for no reason then wouldnt shut which was fun, but more importantly the gears started being funny, this has happened once before on the way to uni. Basically when im changin up a gear say 2nd to 3rd. the revs will jam , example in 2nd doin 4 thousand revs , shift up and it will stay at 4 thousand for a few seconds then drop down like it should. only recently started doin this , it can be annoyin at times a you get no power

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It could be your throttle body sticking. There is a butterfly (operated ny the throttle) that controls the amount of air going in to the engine. If it sticks part way open for a few seconds, this will 'hold' the revs.

If it is the plastic throttle body, it can warp causing this to happen.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
tommihayes said:
Will a spray of WD40 or similar help this sticking throttle body problem?
Temporarily yes. Most people usually opt for the alloy throttle body as its the plastic one that causes the problems.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so how much is a new throttle body roughly . i was goin to get rid of the car but the one i want isnt comin up , and i know this one inside out , you know when you have had a car and replaced lots of bits, feel i know where i am with it.so i may as well keep it and replace the throttle body , and get a new bootlid lol

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
gangsteral said:
so how much is a new throttle body roughly . i was goin to get rid of the car but the one i want isnt comin up , and i know this one inside out , you know when you have had a car and replaced lots of bits, feel i know where i am with it.so i may as well keep it and replace the throttle body , and get a new bootlid lol
remove the throttle body from the plenum, get some white spirit on a rag and clean the butterfly valve while holding it open. Use a bit of vaseline on the edges then to prevent it from sticking :)
Steve

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
gangsteral said:
A new boot lid? Just because it doesn't shut properly? Just needs the striker catch adjusting that's all probably.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the rust all over the bit between the rear window and the seal. not the reason it dont shut , is the reason for new bootlid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts