MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what do people think of them? With my impending tour of Italy I was thinking one might be good for the duty frees, I mean extra luggage. I was also looking at those 8, or so, piece bags that are designed to fit in the boot. Anyone got any? Anyone like or dislike?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,992 Posts
I bought one just after I bought the car and have never used it but will in the summer for the camping trip as my tent will be bigger this year! It is something that you maybe able to borrow from another member.

·
Registered
609 Posts
CJJ.. yep.. boot racks are the best thing since sliced bread... I was never without one with my F.. it was extremely useful, well-designed, great fit, lightweight and could vastly improve your load-carrying ability.

To be honest I would say get one right now - don't hesitate - they are brilliant.

And another thing - the car looks so much cooler and trendier with the bootrack on as its a bit like a spoiler really - it becomes a real "head turner" once you put it on... They are well made, very durable and some even come with the MG logo on which looks top notch.. goes with all the other badges on the car... I mean, come on - how cool does this look?

Finally, I wouldn't rate the locks much - they really get in the way if you want to quickly put the rack on and rapidly take it off... the locks also spoil the cool look as well.

Anyway... not trying to sway your decision or anything.. but... BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Chris
-----------
Note: for sale, one mgf boot rack with mg logos on.. no locks...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have the MG Rover black clamp on type which I got cheapish second hand through ebay where they regularly come up. Like the way it is easy to fit and remove so not permenantly fitted and causes no damage to the boot lid. not been used very much though so wouldn't like to pay full new price! Been used to carry skis when a mate and I went to the Snowdome at Tamworth. Was a nightmare getting ski clamps to fit and had to get the MG Rover ones from B&G -cost more than the rack did!! Also came in useful when I went and picked up my replacement exhaust as it wouldn't fit in the boot or inside:)

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CJJ.. yep.. boot racks are the best thing since sliced bread... I was never without one with my F.. it was extremely useful, well-designed, great fit, lightweight and could vastly improve your load-carrying ability.

To be honest I would say get one right now - don't hesitate - they are brilliant.

And another thing - the car looks so much cooler and trendier with the bootrack on as its a bit like a spoiler really - it becomes a real "head turner" once you put it on... They are well made, very durable and some even come with the MG logo on which looks top notch.. goes with all the other badges on the car... I mean, come on - how cool does this look?

Finally, I wouldn't rate the locks much - they really get in the way if you want to quickly put the rack on and rapidly take it off... the locks also spoil the cool look as well.

Anyway... not trying to sway your decision or anything.. but... BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Chris
-----------
Note: for sale, one mgf boot rack with mg logos on.. no locks...
Wow, now you mention it, how have I lived without it.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Second hand car bootrack salesmen, they're all the same. Pressure, pressure, pressure.

I bet he'll be on in a minute saying it is only just run in.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I can't match the Troman offer - my rack (sadly) still has a full set of working locks and keys. But, at the right price I could throw them away!

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could always take somebodys rack for a long holiday and get it to send postcards. I mean think of it locked away in a cold dark garage, when it could be looking cool in Italy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ah jeez guys... you lot are just taking the mickey now... I try to do someone a favour and look what happens ;)

By the way... the rack is just like new... only just been run in...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh and by the way.... I have proof they look cool as well...

Every time my missus took the car out with it on... she kept having random blokes shouting "nice rack!"....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
We bought one, were more trouble that it was worth, only used it once when we went to South of France, so after months of hanging in the garage, on ebay it went....
Just cut down on what you take...

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That shouldn't be too difficult as originally this trip was going to be done on the Pan European. Sould be more room in the TF boot, but probably not by much.

Has anyone tried the boot bags?

·
Registered
439 Posts
That shouldn't be too difficult as originally this trip was going to be done on the Pan European. Sould be more room in the TF boot, but probably not by much.

Could have sworn I've seen some of the bags in pics of scarlet fever

·
Registered
17,075 Posts

Years of 'bike touring has taught the packing lesson.

When we got our 1st F we went to a luggage outlet store. The manager selected a range of bags and carried them up to our car in the multi story car park.

We selected a pair of rather nice Antler bags in dark green. They just fit across the boot and fill the space front to back. We also use a couple of small 'cabin' type bags for bits & bobs, or for overnight bags if stopping off en route. These sit on top of the Antlers. Still leaves room for fleeces, maps & car papers, camera bag, picnic food, drinks etc. Under bonnet space often has a small rucksack with spare trainers or shoes.

You know the type of bag I mean but something along the http://www.antler.co.uk/circuit.html or http://www.antler.co.uk/urbanite.html range.

It seems that Antler have fitted wheels to many of their softer bags this year. Handy on arrival but can hamper fitting in the boot base.

Best find a friendly luggage shop who is prepared to try their goods in your car.

The bag sets that are tailor made seem outrageously expensive to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts