MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changen my front and rear speakers and amped them up. now i'm getting a whine from the speakers which changes pitch with the revs (more revs higher pitch.) have eliminated the bad earth route by running a earth from the negative of the battery to the amp on the opersite side of the car to the rca's and still have the whine.

is it suppressor time or have i missed something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
The headunit and amp/RCA's have different earths, so you haven't ruled out ground loops (an earthing problem). It could be faulty equipment, but chances are it's still just a faulty earth or ground loop. You need to look at every earth in the system, not just the one for the amp.

Finding earth problems can be a pain in the neck, which is why it's worth doing everything properly in the first place. First thing I'd do is connect your headunit up to the same earth as the amp.

HTH

Mark
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mulletboy2 said:
The headunit and amp/RCA's have different earths, so you haven't ruled out ground loops (an earthing problem). It could be faulty equipment, but chances are it's still just a faulty earth or ground loop. You need to look at every earth in the system, not just the one for the amp.

Finding earth problems can be a pain in the neck, which is why it's worth doing everything properly in the first place. First thing I'd do is connect your headunit up to the same earth as the amp.

HTH

Mark
Thanks for that will give it a try after work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
where does you positive come from? Have you wired into the + at the battery? If you have then check this is firmly attached to the battery terminal. If it isnt then you will get a week alternating current flowing from your alternator to your amp. This can cause huming that gets louder when the engine is revved.
Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cju said:
where does you positive come from? Have you wired into the + at the battery? If you have then check this is firmly attached to the battery terminal. If it isnt then you will get a week alternating current flowing from your alternator to your amp. This can cause huming that gets louder when the engine is revved.
Hope this helps
+ve is connected to the battery, going to try and seperate the live from the rca's at bit more, i'm a numpty and ran them down the same side of the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Ahh thats what it is mate u cant put ur live down the same root as your RCA's you get didtortion.
Lets us no how it goes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
cju said:
Ahh thats what it is mate u cant put ur live down the same root as your RCA's you get didtortion.
No, that's not it. Splitting the cables up might hide the problem, but they aren't what's causing it. The cause is still a bad earth. No earthing problems and it doesn't matter where you run your cables.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
mulletboy2 said:
No, that's not it. Splitting the cables up might hide the problem, but they aren't what's causing it. The cause is still a bad earth. No earthing problems and it doesn't matter where you run your cables.
both devices ie the amp and the head unit are earthed off the battery, there is no better earth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
sph060977 said:
both devices ie the amp and the head unit are earthed off the battery, there is no better earth
Both devices (or either) could be faulty, as could the RCA's ... the RCA's could be non-shielded, etc... Just because they're earthed at the same point doesn't guarantee no interference.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
moved the live and the whine is gone, i know some will say the prolem still remains and moving the live just hides it. if that is the case then so be it my problem has gone and that was a noise i didnt want to here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,994 Posts
Sould you take an earth from the battery negative???

Or do you mean where the battery negative is joined to the car body???
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top