MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50w x 4 cd player and wants to change the front right and left speakers. I found some that are 240w but was told if they are more than 50w it would blow the cd player. Would 240w be ok?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I can't see how running a 240w speaker from a 50w source is going to blow the cd player... the speakers just won't be working anywhere near there power limits.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
As has been said. You've been told a porky pie fella.

You could attach 2000W speakers to a 50W head unit if you wanted. It just means you've wasted your money on far superior speakers than you need. :lol:

The only thing you need to look out for is the impedance of the speakers, but if they are car ones, they should be fine and dandy. :broon:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You could attach 2000W speakers to a 50W head unit if you wanted. It just means you've wasted your money on far superior speakers than you need. :lol:
No, it means you probably fell in to the same trap as millions of others before you, believing that higher power HANDLING is something that indicates that a speaker's good.

Also, 9 times out of 10, it would mean you're buying a cheap speaker marketed to far exceed its' actual abilities.

If your speakers can handle 240WRMS (rather than max power), then as your headunit is probably putting out less than 20WRMS at full pelt (and considerably less in day to day use), you'll barely get the speakers moving.

Go for something better matched to that 20W internal amp and you'll probably end up with a much more satisfying sound. Or, be a sheep and buy poorly matched system components so you can brag about how much power your speakers "put out".

;)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Clearly my deliberate over exagoration has been misinterpreted! :lol:

Next time, I shall just stick to the facts. :D

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have a 50w x 4 cd player and wants to change the front right and left speakers. I found some that are 240w but was told if they are more than 50w it would blow the cd player. Would 240w be ok?
yes they'll be ok.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Clearly my deliberate over exagoration has been misinterpreted! :lol:

Next time, I shall just stick to the facts. :D
:lol: Was still a point worth making though ... even 240W is considerably higher than necessary here, and potentially deleterious to the system as a whole. So if he hasn't already bought the speakers (which he hasn't), then it may be worth considering others anyway :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
240 w speakers, I guess they're coaxials and they're certainly very far from that peak power value so they'll work ok.

my so called 400w speakers work ok with the 50w headunit, so he'll be fine until he can get an amp.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my so called 400w speakers work ok with the 50w headunit, so he'll be fine until he can get an amp.
There's a big difference between one man's "working ok" and another's ;)

If you have 400W peak speakers, even assuming they're only 100WRMS, that means that they're getting way too little power off a 20W (not 50) headunit ... if you were playing a sine wave at max volume you'd get 20W .. in reality, you've probably getting little over 5W to these 100W speakers most of the time.

Yes, they'll make sound, but they'll be severely lacking in the bass/midbass department. Feed them a decent amount of power and watch the relative midbass/bass levels shoot up.

The goal is to have too much power for your speakers, so that amps aren't strained and speakers are being sufficiently driven, not to have the largest numbers on your speakers that you can find.. because, yes, they will sound bad (or a lot worse than they *could* and more suited speakers *would* sound).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I know mark, that's why all my speakers are amped an none are using the miserable headunit amp.

our friend here just asked if it's gonna blow his car up, and I said no it'll work ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts