Votes: 15 51.7%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
MG HS
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to replace the suspension on the TF
out of need rather than want but Its something I have always felt could be improved upon so not to fussed.
The contenders I know of are

MS kit (Spax) - £520 then say £100 for a garage to fit them or
MGFCentre (Gaz) £555 fully fitted

Which would you lot go for?? I want a slightly lower look to the car and less bone killing ride while remaining playful and comfy..

Also opinions on any other I contacted VHS but they are out of stock for 10 weeks and cost £550 + Fitting costs.

Please any input would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
MG HS
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lad a VHS Said that they had supplied the MGOC with the new Dampeners and thats why they were out of stock so I guess the Third option could be back on the cards. (may want to change the title)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Pete seems very happy with his Mike Satur/Spax set-up.
I've used spax on other cars with excellent results so I'd have thought they were an excellent choice except I remember a few more negatives in past threads and from what I can recall the gaz shocks have had universally good reviews. It's all so personal and a bit subjective, myself I've become quite settled with the original set up now that they are aligned right and I have a spare wheel instead of a tin of gunk for ballast up front....also i don't have even a fiver in spare cash at the moment so have to feel contented with what i have !!

·
Registered
868 Posts
So are Debs, WindDrifter and myself :broon:

Except we use Xpower springs
... eibach... in my case... :)
Edit: If I'm not mistaken x-power is also eibach, but my memory could be fubared...
Anyway, the setup works quite well.

Edit2: I have spax & eibach but can't choose option 1. Would never buy anything from there.
Can't choose option 2, because I have no experience with gaz.
Can't choose option 3, because I have no experience with bilstein.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ok so another Question. can you use uprated Dampeners with lowered springs ala Xpower
I do and so does WindDrifter ( XPOWER = Eibach :) ) Both our cars haven't fallen apart.... yet :err:

Pete has the MS blue kit which is lower as well.

I think that the overall opinion is that the VHS kit is second to none but also the more expensive of the lot.
My spax dampers came in at £ 315 which is more than £ 200 cheaper. So they have the right to be slightly less than the VHS kit.

The upside with the VHS kit is that you can lower your car yourself using your standard springs.IIRC :broon:

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
The time has come to replace the suspension on the TF
out of need rather than want but Its something I have always felt could be improved upon so not to fussed.
The contenders I know of are

MS kit (Spax) - £520 then say £100 for a garage to fit them or
MGFCentre (Gaz) £555 fully fitted

Which would you lot go for?? I want a slightly lower look to the car and less bone killing ride while remaining playful and comfy..

Also opinions on any other I contacted VHS but they are out of stock for 10 weeks and cost £550 + Fitting costs.

Please any input would be very appreciated!
Join the club!! Glad its not just me then who may have to part with some big pennies!!! As per my thread i have decided to go with VHS

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
no personal experience but going by what I have read the spax option seems to have the worst reviews and the gaz seems the better value of the other two
I have GAZ on my F, want to upgrade to Bilsteins. Go for the VHS kit they know what they are talking about. From experiance with Bilsteins on other makes of vehicle they are a top unit and when worn out ( 4x4) high bush mileage just had them rebuilt, and just like new again.

·
Registered
mg_tf
79 Posts
To Michiel.B and Winddrifter :
How low are your TF's with Spax dampers and X-Power (eibach) springs ?

Because I have X-Power springs that I had to remove (because of our "MOT", my car was very very low : they measured 7 cm), and I want to refit them, but with new dampers. If I could find upgraded dampers that, in same same time, give me one or two extra centimeter ground clerance, that would be good...

Where did you buy them from, for £300 ?

Regards,
Fabrice

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.