MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so be gentle please :p.

I've recently bought a Rover 220 SDi. I'm more than happy with the car, but I'm having a few minor problems with it. It's having some starting problems when cold. I think it has something to do with the ignition, so I want to replace the spark plugs, but I can't find them ::eyes: . Can someone tell me where they are on this engine? Are they underneath or something?
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
Youre first stop will be the heater plugs, they warm the cylinders through before starting. If they arnt getting enough heat then possibly a flat battery. So try charging youre battery overnight first to see if this cures it, if it does then youre battery may be in need of replacement. Try this as a first step.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies so far, you really are a good bunch :cool:.

But what do you mean when you say it doesn't have spark plugs. How on earth can the fuel light without a spark???
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
The physics of diesel means that it ignites on its own under pressure. So using a longer stroke of the piston, it can compress the diesel to an extent that it ignites. The engine just needs cranking over in most cases, but they use heater plugs at the top of each cylinder to warm through the cylinder before starting (they switch off once the engines running)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
The physics of diesel means that it ignites on its own under pressure. So using a longer stroke of the piston, it can compress the diesel to an extent that it ignites. The engine just needs cranking over in most cases, but they use heater plugs at the top of each cylinder to warm through
the cylinder before starting (they switch off once the engines running)
Sorry to be pedantic but,

The fuel ignites because the highly compressed air in the cylinder is so hot the fuel explodes almost instantly. Example, diesel compression ratio ~20:1, gasoline engine ~10:1.

Diesels are not necessarily long stroke, the compression ratio is determined by head design.

Pedant mode Deactivated :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,795 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
Youre first stop will be the heater plugs, they warm the cylinders through before starting. If they arnt getting enough heat then possibly a flat battery. So try charging youre battery overnight first to see if this cures it, if it does then youre battery may be in need of replacement. Try this as a first step.
Sorry, but to be fair its far more likely in such a situation that the glow plugs are nackered. You can usually get away with a couple of them dying before it starts to get very difficult to start the engine.

If its been quite a few years/miles since they were replaced they could probably be in line for a replacement. I've seen some only last a few years where others have gone for nearly 10 without a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
its an april fool thread u fools, noones that thick check the lounge hehhe look he only signed up today, lol cant believe you didnt spot it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,795 Posts
cmburgin said:
its an april fool thread u fools, noones that thick check the lounge hehhe look he only signed up today, lol cant believe you didnt spot it
Indeed, noticed before I had posted, but had to get my :2c: in to this one about diesel.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top