MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long, or how often should spark plug wires be replaced?

I replaced the ignition leads on my F when I bought it 11 years ago. Since then, I've driven the car about 30,000 miles, around 3,000 miles per year. The car starts and runs fine, I' have no reason to think the leads are not okay, but I have always wondered how often they should be changed. I think the service scheduled for the MGF says that the ignition system should be renewed every 60 months/60,000 miles, but I'm curious what you guys think.

Mark

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,188 Posts
Usually look at doing mine when I begin to get a misfire, on the F's I've found its the rota arm and dizzy cap which needs changing regularly plugs and leads tends to last pretty well.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Usually look at doing mine when I begin to get a misfire, on the F's I've found its the rota arm and dizzy cap which needs changing regularly plugs and leads tends to last pretty well.
This! - unless its broken, don't bother trying to fix it.

However, if you are determined to spend some money, then you are correct with the recommended mileage interval.

·
Registered
mgf
953 Posts
Ya I usually wait until I have an issue with misfiring. The HT leads sitting on the hot engine get soft over time and spark onto the metal rocker cover. If you let the car run in the dark you will see the leakage sparks onto the rocker cover, then your loosing spark from your plugs. If this happens it time to get new leads.
Hope this helps.
Hobby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts