MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick easy one for the gurus.
Could someone tell me when my car should have new plugs fitted.
Its a Y-reg ZS180 with 47k on the clock.
Is it a job i could do myself being of semi-competent ability.?
What type of plugs are best ? NGK or Champion, or an other ?

hope to hear soon

cheers dudes

Baz out !!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
I was thinking about this too!!

No mention in the handbook, only when the oil and fluids are changed, albeit the computer tells you - well on mine anyway. :D

I might take mine out to see what type they are;

Normal plugs do around 15-25,000 miles sometimes sooner, platinum longlife plugs do around 50K miles. I suspect if yours are originals and have had no firing probs then they'll be platinum types as most modern engines use them to extend service intervals.

Only problem is they'll be around £50 for a set!!!

I serviced my Gf's Z3 2.8 and this had done 49K miles and they were £46 for 6.

The back bank looks a little tight, but having said that the front is too. I'm sure its DIYable.

G

·
Dave turbo said:
Oh and with plugs, I tend to stick with NGK, but Champion are good too. :D
Plugs are easily good for 30-40,000 miles but are so cheap that it isn't worth not replacing them.

I bought NGKs for our Vitesse off ebay at £4 each plus £1.50 postage for the set.

Just search for the plug number and up they'll come.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Plug change

I enquired about this for my 1.8 75.
According to my dealership they only need changing at 60,000 intervals.
As mine was way over this I bought a set to change them myself,having done so on my previous cars.
On starting the job I discovered that the two of the plugs are under the engine management system, not wishing to get involved with that I took it back the dealership and had them do the job.
Turned out that the leads broke when pulled off anyway, so it was handy to get them replaced at the same time.
It drives a whole lot better since.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
Richard Moss said:
Plugs are easily good for 30-40,000 miles but are so cheap that it isn't worth not replacing them.

I bought NGKs for our Vitesse off ebay at £4 each plus £1.50 postage for the set.

Just search for the plug number and up they'll come.
Were these platinum plugs? As you can get std (even multi electrode) NGKs for about £1.50 - £2.00 each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts