MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I'm a newbie (intro on correct forum) currently looking for a MGTF and they have a variety of spare wheels and I hate space savers. The question I would like answering is if I need to get a matching alloy spare wheel, what tyre do I fit, the width of the front or back wheel. My head says the front as they do the steering and most of the braking and a slightly unbalanced rear would be less dangerous.
Secondly any traffic policemen out there, as I understand it space savers are technically illegal as they contravene construction and use regs (last time I looked) and you wont get an MOT with it fitted. If I have an alloy spare fitted to the wrong axle how do I stand? should I paint the alloy black and stick a 50mph max sticker on it.
All comments welcome especially if you are a member of the constabulary .
Regards
Deepfat

·
Registered
Rover V8 Marlin
61 Posts
Mine had the 195 wide tyre on. The 215 wide one would go in but take a bit more room.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
The size of spare wheel could be seen as a bit of a moot point with the TF fitted with directional tyres the wheel will only fit correctly in one position, this is why all factory fit spare wheels regardless of size were painted in a bright colour and limited to 50mph and a range of 50 miles. With a TF without the large brakes the standard 14” steel spare wheel is fine to get you home or to a garage, it isn’t as narrow as a traditional space saver wheel.

Many years ago we had a member who worked for Parelli and he said that that most punctures are on the rear.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Whatever you do, get a full size and jack kit. Some of us go years not getting a puncture - then the day you do, you will be thankfull you had a tyre on a wheel, rather than a bottle of gunk and a battery air-compressor . The MGTF has odd size wheels, so it will give you a chance to shop around to replace the damaged or punctured tyre.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So two agree with me, then Chris T throws a spanner in the works with the directional aspect of the tyre.
Googled about directional tyres doesn't seem a good idea to run them in reverse, so my solution would be to fit the spare with bi directional (ie normal?) tyre of 195 section.
Ready to be shot down again!!
Deep

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,408 Posts
To be used as a spare, and therefore only as a temporary fit whilst the proper wheel and tyre is repaired/replaced, the size and directionality is not of great importance. You do however have to remember when you have a mi- match of tyre size on the same axle, or if the spare when fitted is the wrong side for the tread rotation, and restrict your speed accordingly whilst the spare is fitted.

When the wrong tyre size is fitted or a rotational tyre rolling the wrong way is fitted, it classes the same as a space saver, and speeds should be kept below 50mph (as a mis-match it is strictly speaking illegal, but is permissible for emergency use only).

The fitting a non directional tyre will overcome the direction of rotation difficulty, but it will still be a mis-matched tyre to the one on the other side, and will still require sticking to the 50mph maximum speed.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There are stickers you can buy to fit on a spare wheel - get one and stick it on the wheel, that way, if the rozzers were to stop you when you've needed to fit it they are not likely to make an issue of it being an incorrect size or directional on the wrong way. Plus your not likely to keep it on longer than needed due to the way they look :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
The size of spare wheel could be seen as a bit of a moot point with the TF fitted with directional tyres the wheel will only fit correctly in one position, this is why all factory fit spare wheels regardless of size were painted in a bright colour and limited to 50mph and a range of 50 miles. With a TF without the large brakes the standard 14” steel spare wheel is fine to get you home or to a garage, it isn’t as narrow as a traditional space saver wheel.
Mine is black and the same design as the rest of the wheels (which are silver). The one time I ever used it, I considered getting the rest of the wheels redone in black because I quite liked the look :)

I have the 16" 11-spoke wheels if that makes any difference to what spare wheel anyone received, but it's definitely the original factory-supplied spare.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, looked on the big E for the stickers £8 turns out Rimmer's do them for £1.80, false economy when I get the TF i'm sure I will spend more than £1.80 in Rimmer's.
I have contacted the Dept of Transport (thought that was defunct) regarding the legality of all this, the website says they will reply within 20 days!!! if/when I receive a reply I will share it.
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received a reply from the DOT and at first glance I've learnt two things, construction and use regs take into account the TEMPORARY use of a spare wheel with a mismatched tyre. The second one is if you change the original spare supplied with the car new you do not have have it marked with the stickers (but I would)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts