MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, my wonderful new car came without a spare set of keys, is it possible to get another set made up? and where would I get something like that?

I've also got a teeny broken spring on the relase for the spare wheel hatch, pesky but less important :)

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Spare key order from a dealer, or speak to Lates. Dealer around £100 :eek:mg: Lates a tad cheaper iirc

Takes 10 days or so as they come from Europe and need programming. you need the bar code that should be stuck to your handbook somewhere.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could do with one of these too but I don't have the original handbook. Is there another way of getting the key code?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Don't want to put a downer on this but my barcode was supplied attached to my spare key, not on the handbook :(
No help at all just a comment.

Regards

MM

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
mmcomputing said:
Don't want to put a downer on this but my barcode was supplied attached to my spare key, not on the handbook :(
No help at all just a comment.

Regards

MM
Clealry a Project Drive issue MM. My pre-Drive car came with the bar code firmly stapled to the handbook. Staple costs must have been eliminated post 2001 ;)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Just to clarify.

I had no barcodes and 1 key. Had a spare from the main dealer and i then received a barcode along with the additional key.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The cars were delivered to dealers with barcodes on the keys. If the barcode is stapled to the book then this was done at the dealers or post dealers. Just for info.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
MattL said:
The cars were delivered to dealers with barcodes on the keys. If the barcode is stapled to the book then this was done at the dealers or post dealers. Just for info.
checks to see if his staple has a Longbridge stamp on it.................................. :lol:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
MikeM said:
Clealry a Project Drive issue MM. My pre-Drive car came with the bar code firmly stapled to the handbook. Staple costs must have been eliminated post 2001 ;)
Bought my car from a Phoenix garage, judging by the total lack of intergrity of the sales manager, and his staff of 1 youngster that knew absolutely nothing about these cars. I am of the opinion they would not know what a staple was even if it had jumped up and bit them on the arm. I'm grateful to have got the spare key, bar code attached was a definite bonus.

None of this banter is actually assisting our colleagues Basher and Herzlos. :(

MM

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Basher,

Matt got a spare key with only having a key and no barcode so it looks like you are in luck :) Take your key and I assume V5 etc. to a dealer and order a new one.

Good luck

Mike :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
yep they only need the v5 (prove the car is yours). They will take the VIN and the reg and order the key. 3-5 days later the key will arrive and they will need the car for 10 mins to code the car to the key.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
MattL said:
yep they only need the v5 (prove the car is yours). They will take the VIN and the reg and order the key. 3-5 days later the key will arrive and they will need the car for 10 mins to code the car to the key.

Well done Matt, really useful info.

Regards

MM

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
On the subject of spare keys, does anyone know if you can order the wallet sized plastic key that was given to owners on Cowley Built 75's?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
IanRobertson said:
On the subject of spare keys, does anyone know if you can order the wallet sized plastic key that was given to owners on Cowley Built 75's?
Not to my knowledge, but im not sure why you would. You cant start the car with it.

Didnt somebody post that Timpsons or similar could now copy the keys (but obviously with no electronics)

·
Registered
68 Posts
MattL said:
The key, the car and the V5 I can sort out. It's the £100 that's putting me off at the moment. However if I try to imagine the situation where my only key is lost without a trace, £100 might be a good investment.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
MattL said:
Not to my knowledge, but im not sure why you would. You cant start the car with it.

Didnt somebody post that Timpsons or similar could now copy the keys (but obviously with no electronics)
The only time I ever wished that I had one was when I locked my car keys in the boot without activating the central locking on the rest of the car. I just opened the boot with the key, then left the keys in the boot.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
IanRobertson said:
The only time I ever wished that I had one was when I locked my car keys in the boot without activating the central locking on the rest of the car. I just opened the boot with the key, then left the keys in the boot.
yes that has occured to me in the past. i have got in the habit of always opening the CL and then key in the boot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts