MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
''yes'' i think it would. I have a ZR & i wouldn't want to risk driving it with one 17'' on the front & a space saver on the other side.Better to have the saver on the rear.It might be a bit of a pain to do but still favour a space saver over a can of squirty rubbish they put in.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
228 Posts
I have a 'space saver ' in my Diesel tourer. Any one out there know if a 'proper' alloy wheel can be fitted in the compartment that the 'spare' sits in???

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Yes a full alloy will fit and you'll need to cut down the foam tool insert if you want to continue using it as otherwise it sits proud and stops the floor board going fully down.

Also yes spacesaver on rear wheels only!

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
A spacesaver wheel will not fit on the front of the ZS180's because of the size of calipers, as others have said i would always fit one of these to rear as them seem to thin to cope with any power/braking forces produced by a FWD car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tootall said:
A spacesaver wheel will not fit on the front of the ZS180's because of the size of calipers, as others have said i would always fit one of these to rear as them seem to thin to cope with any power/braking forces produced by a FWD car.
Given that our cars are front-wheel steering and rear-wheel driving, would you want to put one on any corner??

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Space Saver/Jacking

Now i have some spare alloys (bought 4 brand new Contour with 4 brand new Firestones for £100 on Ebay) will carry one instead of the space saver. What a pain to change 2 wheels at 1 in the morning when it's pouring !
My Tourer came with just the 'CAN'. What a waste of time. I tried it on the wheelbarrow and .............. nothing. Rover said "not covered under the warranty" Bought space saver but have never known about 'on rear only'
Don't know if the Rover jack will raise the car enough but found with trolley jack last week that jacking up the front jacking point raises both front and back wheels (haven't tried just back point) which makes the job a little easier with a space saver. All round seems best to find a spare alloy on Ebay and carry a full size spare.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
...........only thing is with a lot of today tyres they are a ''one way'' rotation only so what would it handle like if the spare had a tyre mounted for the right hand rotation & the flat was on the left hand side ?.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is a very good idea to obtain a REAL spare, as I stopped a lorry and told him he had a flat only for me 40 miles further on at the M6 toll to have one myself, oh boy was I glad to have a real wheel to put on. As you can only go about 50mph with it on it would have taken an extra 30 mins for the journey home, rush hour and all.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
The Grim Reaper said:
...........only thing is with a lot of today tyres they are a ''one way'' rotation only so what would it handle like if the spare had a tyre mounted for the right hand rotation & the flat was on the left hand side ?.
what would happen if you went in reverse? ;)

(I've heard mention of one way rotation tyres though, so its entirely possible, but I figure they'll just grip better in one direction, will work in other direct just not as well)

·
Registered
358 Posts
My neighbour has a Peugeot 407 and had a set of new tyres fitted recently. He complained to the tyre depot of "strange handling". It was discovered that all of the directional tread tyres were on the wrong side.

Moral of the story. Buy a tyre for the spare without directional tread!

There's always loads on Ebay for reasonable prices. I obtained two contours at new year for 80 quid, although the tyres were marginal and were replaced. So now I have a spare and a spare spare.

In the tourer, the vac formed (or pressed) tray liner will not fit with a full size spare fitted, due to the additional tyre width. Diameter wise, it is fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Spare tyre saga

My 03 Rover 75 V6 Con was only a few months old when it picked up a nail resulting in a slow puncture.
The tyre garage said it was repairable but would take a few days.
I was about to go on holiday and my spare was only a space saver, so I had to buy a new tyre. The punctured tyre was repaired and awaiting me on my return from holiday.
The original tyres were Dunlop SP Sports 3000 225/45 ZR17 90W, so I then had 5 of these plus the space saver. Not to worry I thought, when I replace the original tyres I shall only have to buy either 1 or 3 new ones.
This year when I replaced the tyres, I found that Dunlop no longer make the SP3000, but instead supply their SP Sport MAXX 225/45 ZR17 91W. These tyres have a completely different tread pattern and appearance!
I now have a space saver plus a 'spare' SP 3000 tyre.
Questions - would it be safe/advisable/legal to use the SP3000 tyre to replace a SP Sport MAXX, and how do you determine the 'one way rotation'?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Herzlos said:
there must be an arrow on it :p
Oh dear dear, I completely forgot many tyres are directional

I fitted my Serpents on the car late Saturday evening and then did the 450 mile round trip (at motorway speeds) and yes I got the two back ones on round the wrong way!

I wonder if thats why there was so much extra noise !

Doh!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
You can fit the space saver to front or rear and be fine - it does have a 50mph limit though - but not the top end MGs eg ZT190 and ZS180 as the brakes are too big for the space saver to fit, no other reason. :D

I did buy a full size alloy to replace the space saver!! So its saving space in the garage now!! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dave turbo said:
You can fit the space saver to front or rear and be fine - [...]
Yes, you can.

I got a flat tyre the day before I had to drive more than 200 miles (one way) to pick up my second set of alloys. :irked:
Luckily I could use my dads car instead. :)
Now I have a "real" spare.

Juergen

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts