MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically figures permitting I would like to sell my ZR, and wondered what I can reasonably expect to get for it.

Its an 04, MK1 120+. Its top spec albeit no A/C. The car can be returned to its original spec and would be if I was to sell it privately. I've fitted a Magnex b/box, K&N panel filter, Alpine h/u & centre armrest. Its currently on 28,000 miles, although most of this is motorway miles.

Looking on autotrader, prices seem to vary. I did find a similar spec car to mine with the same mileage and they were asking 6,495. Does this sound reasonable, or are they dreaming?

The car is in A1 condition as you can see from the pics and has been meticulosly maintained.

So just wanted your opinions on what you think I could honestly ask for it if I were to sell privately.

MG6.JPG
MG9.JPG

Thanks,

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I've been leaning towards 5.5k-6k as well.

What about part ex values, would I be looking iro of 4k??

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
MG ZR +
1.4 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2004 04
Mileage: 28,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£5120

Average condition:
£4630

Below average condition:
£4120

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, is that from Parkers? Only thing is mine is a 1.8, 120, how much difference would that make?

And if a 1.4, 105 is worth 5k on part ex, would a private sale value not be quite a bit higher, i.e 6-7k??

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
MG ZR +
1.8 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2004 04
Mileage: 28,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£5610

Average condition:
£5070

Below average condition:
£4510

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So I'd now guess around £6k for a private sale.

The part-ex prices are Glass' Guide prices.

Skim reading I assumed it was a 1.4... sorry!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries mate thanks very much for the help. Just been on with the finance Co and it seems there may be a couple of k negative equity if I were to only get 6k for my car so may have to have a rethink.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
maty said:
No worries mate thanks very much for the help. Just been on with the finance Co and it seems there may be a couple of k negative equity if I were to only get 6k for my car so may have to have a rethink.
how long have you been paying your car off for? you can terminate your contract after 50% of the payments/term. youll end up with nothing in your pocket but youll be free to buy a new car and start from scratch

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for that Dee, I've paid 21 payments on a 5 year agreement (60 months), so it would mean keeping the car for another 9 months to get me to 50%! Which I dont mind doing, but it would have been nice to get a new car now!

Its looking like the Type R is going to have to wait!

Tried Glass', paid 2.95 for a reg check valuation and it came back as follows;

Trade In-Excellent = £5,580
Trade In-Average = £5,040
Trade In-below average =£4,490

But i forgot to add the extras so should be marginally higher.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats it mate, natural progression! My brother had a Type R in the past, he's now got a Leon CupraR. I drove the Civic a few times and its just such a well put together car, everything about it was spot on, brakes, gearbox, engine, no rattles from the interior and of course VTEC!!!

Plus I've had the MG 2 years now, previous to that I had a R25, prior to that a proper Mini Cooper S, and prior to that a Metro, so its time for a change!

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
maty said:
Cheers for that Dee, I've paid 21 payments on a 5 year agreement (60 months), so it would mean keeping the car for another 9 months to get me to 50%! Which I dont mind doing, but it would have been nice to get a new car now!
it still might be cheaper for you to just pay the remaining last 9 payments, just depends on how much you pay a month!

i had to pay 3 of my paments to get rid of it in the end, but it was well worth it, it meant i could start from scratch and move on

are you allowed to sell a car which has hpi on it? either way good luck whichever you choose!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
deelunn said:
it still might be cheaper for you to just pay the remaining last 9 payments, just depends on how much you pay a month!

i had to pay 3 of my paments to get rid of it in the end, but it was well worth it, it meant i could start from scratch and move on

are you allowed to sell a car which has hpi on it? either way good luck whichever you choose!
Can I do that, i.e just pay 9 months installments all at once to cancel the agreement? Although thinking about it that would be iro £2000, which I dont have at the moment unfortunately!

I think you can sell the vehicle, providing you either cancel the agreement by settling the balance, or carry on paying the payments which would defeat the object. Only problem is I owe more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
yup you can definatly do that! you can ring up and ask for a settlement figure and they will tell you exactly how much you owe. you can then say your wanting to terminate and they will send you a settlement figure out in the post. the settlement firgure is the amount of liability you have to pay to get you up to the 50% mark.....like i say i paid off 3 months at once...wasnt anywhere near 2k tho!

i done this on mine because i owed more than what the car was worth, it just didnt make any sense keeping it - but like i say i only had 550 quid or something to pay - not stupid amounts like you!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that Dee, I'll give the finance Co a bell and see if its possible.

Reason for the high payments is that I only put a very small deposit on the car when I bought it (brand new), financing the rest hence quite high monthly payments!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts