MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search but am still unsure exactly what I have to do (doh!) so will really appreciate advice.
I need to do the outer CV joints on a 1994 sohc 1.6 Concerto, out on the drive.
I've downloaded relevant pages from the Honda Manual site http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html which has good diagrams but doesn't really explain what to do very clearly.
I've got the outer joint out of the knuckle ok.
1) Is it worthwhile having a go at leaving the driveshaft in situ or is this going to waste time and leave me needing to remove the shaft from the diff anyway?
2) Does the n/s outer shaft separate from the intermediate shaft in the same way as the o/s shaft comes out of the diff - i.e. with hefty leverage - or will the intermediate shaft need removing from the diff?
Thanks for your help,
Rod

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
When you say "you've got to do the CV joints" do you mean replace them or simply to replace the rubber boot (gaiter) ?

If you're replacing the actual joint then it's easiest to remove the whole driveshaft. I'm not familiar with the Concerto, but on most Hondas it's the same as on many other cars; you pry the inner joint away from the diff casing using big screwdrivers/ tyre levers or similar. When you refit the driveshafts to the diff casing consider replacing the oil seals that they go into and in any case protect the seals from the splines on the end of the shafts when you re-insert them. I use a bit of plastic cut from an old-style Fairy Liquid bottle to do this: wrap the plastic around the splined section so that it's like a close-fitting tube around them. When the splines are back in enough that the splines have passed the deal I withdraw the thin bit of plastic that I rolled around the splines and pop the joints all the way back in.

If you're only replacing the outer boots then there's absolutely no need to remove the entire driveshaft. Just as long as the hub carrier is withdrawn from the outer end of the shaft (as in section 7 on the instructions you refer to) you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi mate, did my 1600 honda engined coupe last week, really easy!!

1. Obviuosly jack up car at front, wheels off

2. You dont have to remove driveshaft, only from hub end and you say you have done this?

3. so you should have the driveshaft just hanging about so to speak.

4. get a mate to hold the driveshaft and the engine side

5. get copper hammer and hit the cv joint outwards while said friend is holding the shaft, no pun intended.

6. after a few attempts it will literally pull off (again no puns)

7. fit new circlip you will get one i guess i did with the joint, line it up in splines and push it over the shaft sharply, it will click over circlip!!

8, pack with grease in the boot and refit!!

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for input - did it Mario 1979's way.

First one a doddle, second one hung up on circlip somehow saw involved more fiddling but still not too bad.

I did get really held up by one split-pin which was badly corroded - needed chopping off to remove nut and then drilling out of joint - little f****r!

Thanks again,

Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts