MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry this is gonna take a bit of time! ive got a rover 400, i put in a year or two ago, a sony t69 cd changer. to go into my original tape player, and also an adaptor/pug! to allow the steering wheel controls to be used! then had a few probs with the changer! (basically when playing cds sound would only come from one side of the car speakers!? but when playing tapes or radio all speakers worked!), so i thought id buy a single playing unit as it would sound better! looked on net and asked a few questions! and apparently was told any cd would fit, but ! if i bought a sony a could use the steering wheel adaptor thingy!!!! id already got! so shopped about and found the sony cdx for about £100 on the net.. trouble was it didnt arrive! so ended up going to halfrauds!!!!!!!!!!! (well it was "free fitting!!!!! i know i know!!!) when i bought it guy said the steering wheel controls would still work,, but!come the day of fitting, the fitting kid sorry guy!!!!! said the lead wouldnt work, as the "sony cd wouldnt talk to the steering wheel controls! wtf!!! so anyway guy put the cd in (very quickly too! soo......... my questions are can i use the original lead? (providing the guy who fitted it didnt remove it!) and according to brochure with new cd the t69 will fit into the cdx 300? (i know it didnt work the speakers last time!!!!!!! but it "may" work now! even if it doesnt i can get the 6 cds out of the changer) and lastly (showing my age here!!!) it came with a remote. but how the hell can you use the remote while youre driving!!!!!!!!? are you supposed to place it somewhere "strategic? or is it only for passenger use!? cheers guys and sorry for such a long post!!!!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
most sonys will connect to the steering wheel controls using an autoleads adapter.

as for the cd changer, it should also work!

·
Registered
935 Posts
just a quick note if i can....

i work at halfords, i fit audio units, i sell audio units.

i slightly resent the above "micky taking" comments in the first post.

yes i agree there are some cowboys in the company, however there are alot of trained people also. including myself.

Halfrauds, yes to an extent i agree with you.

with "fitting kid" i disagree.

these days the ICE industry is mainly if not totally aimed at younger generations these days, so there fore most of the fitters are young.

did they or did they not sort your problem, so was there any need for the cheeky remarks...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smiddlewood, i cant see any "mickeytaking" in my first post, im sorry. I called the fitter a kid, because he was! im in my 40`s and he was 18? So to me he is a kid! I never mentioned the word cowboys, in fact i never mentioned halfords! I mentioned halfrauds (a name i learnt from this site! btw),quite simply i dont like "stores" like halfords (along with currys, dixons, pc world et al- purely because they are generally more expensive than other places!)
As for did they sort out my problem? well no! because when i bought and paid for the headunit the salesman informed me the steering wheel control adaptor i had , would also work with the new sony unit , then come fitting time the fitter informed me i needed a new lead?
The reason for my posting was to ask for some info to the questions i asked! If you got upset, well thats your perogative, i work for the railways mate! (you know the old B.R.) and if i was to take personally every little thing id heard written about them, or in fact , people moaning about them , well i guess id end up a very sad individual! Im gladyoure happy in your employment with Halfords, and wish well in your future employment with them. By the way, is the head-unit i bought from halfords compatible with the steering wheel controls i already have? cheers mate!

·
Registered
935 Posts
what model sony if you can just clear that up for me....

if there is a 3.5mm jack type connector in the rear of the unit, usually surrounded by a blue ring of plastic to indicate what it is...

if you are changing from the standard rover HU to the sony, you will need an interface adapter for the sony, cost between £29.99 and £45.99.

if you have had an existing after market HU in there previous to this sony, other than the factory rover HU then you may get away with a £5 patch lead, if ou already have the main bulk of the steering wheel interface in there currently.

but changing from the rover HU to the sony, to keep your steering controls you will indeed need an interface, which is on top of the price of an ISO adapter if required (pretty sure it isnt on the 25s)

the steering control system works as follows.

car wiring--------interface to change to standard fitment----------patch lead to change to sony etc-------------stereo

·
Registered
935 Posts
also yes the t69 should be compatable with the 300s, just pop it out and look on the rear of the 300s for a round black connecter, size of a 10p with square connection in the middle.

the leads for the steering wheel controls are add ons for the existing rover one, so it will still be there......

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, cheers for that smiddlewood!
Basically, i had the original rover cassette player in the car, i put in (under the seat) a sony t69 6 cd changer. The cd changer wasnt working properly (only 1 side of the cars speakers would work when cds were playing? but all speakers would work when playing tapes or radio). So i bought a sony cdx gt 300s, and was told it would work the steering wheel controls with the adaptor i already had.I wasnt really too bothered with this, because as i say the changer wasnt working properly anyway! but the steering wheel controls are a great option! Like i say come fitting time, the fitter said that the controls wouldnt work the new stereo, as "the sony cdx doesnt speak the same language as rover? and id need a new lead?" Never mind i thought! as i say though i do like the steering wheel option! so whats the best (therefore easiest and cheapest!) way to get around this please!
last question! honest! im showing my age here but! it came with a remote control, but how are you supposed to use it while you are driving! or arent you? and is it only for passengers use! cheers again!

·
Registered
935 Posts
not specific way of using the remote while you are driving....

either use it or dont lol.

or handy if you have poeple in the back, but mainly aimed at younger generation i think.

as far as i am aware without making the relevent calls at work etc, your looking at £45 to keep you steering controls, it might be less, which if course would be a bonus to you.

if you were more local i would gladly have it ll sorted out for you as painlessly as possible, however wales is a bit of a distance.

cheers

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks again smiddlewood!
Looks like ill have to buy another lead then! Its ok if my daughter is in the car, cos she uses the remote! (only trouble is i have to listen to her music then........... Britney, Greenday etc! why wont she listen to my reggae?!!!!!!!!)
A great thing about the unit is i can plug my mp3 player into it though! well thanks again for the info, i guess ill have to look around for a lead for the steering wheel controls cheers mate!

·
Registered
935 Posts
no probs, look for autoleads equipment..... good stuff and very easy to just plug and play.

reggae is awesome just for the record.

cheers smiddlewood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts