1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
let it rot in hell imo. another brown metro city with no headrests destroyed the better. in fact i would buy it to kill it.....lol

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dac said:
let it rot in hell imo. another brown metro city with no headrests destroyed the better. in fact i would buy it to kill it.....lol
how could you live with yourself?

imagine it tuned at the pod whooping skylines :D

ok, maybe i've been down pub too long, off to bed me thinks lol

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
if everyone kills them then thy all gone , if you really want one for a classic it looks good 21K my Z`s got more on it than that ! at 2 years old , looks tidy

Oh my god im talking myself into it:getcoat:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
3000 miles in 2 weeks in Europe? The guy needs certifying!

Can't believe it's fetcing what it's at now! (£31)

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
It's worth saving; looks OK and the mileage, if genuine, is very much in its favour.

All too often people save high-spec models from a particular range, and basic models such as this Metro end up in the scrapyard; which is a shame. I have no doubt that there will be a few MG Metro Turbos and MG Metros saved, and possibly the odd HLS or so, but that's about it.

For this reason alone, to conserve an example of the Metro entry-level range that you can take to shows inthe future, it's worth buying and doing up.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Charles Regan said:
It's worth saving; looks OK and the mileage, if genuine, is very much in its favour
Knowing what will be wrong with the gearbox and the probable state of the underbody I'd not even be brave enough to take that on!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
dac said:
have a look at it again in the morning....this post will haunt you! well post in it once a day.....lol
nah i've posted worse, this is one of my most sensible as it goes!

i've attempted worse, i had the entire bottom 6 inches replaced on a '72 bug a few years back, heater channels, floor pans the lot! obviously wouldnt have the bonus of being able to take the engine out with a socket & trolley jack with this though

seriously i think its cool in a life on mars (yeah i know its an '85) kinda way... would be a funny project!

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Dr Dave said:
Knowing what will be wrong with the gearbox and the probable state of the underbody I'd not even be brave enough to take that on!
Changing the 'box and replacing it with a good secondhand one is easy enough; the underside is, perhaps, more of an issue.

It needs someone who won't just patch over the rust like so many garages do; if there are any holes, the metal needs to be cut out and new sections made or purchased. It's not as difficult as it sounds; I did the same thing on an old MG a few years ago and MIG welded them into place, afterwards painting and protecting the underside with a modern, Waxoyl-based underseal which remains flexible. The worst point is when you have removed the rusty metal and find you have a Flintstone car; once you get on with making the new sections and welding them into place it all seems more manageable.

Mind you, it's worth a look for anyone who is interested... it's cheap enough too and it's just possible it's had elderly owners who have kept it garaged and cared for and is spotless underneath...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
That car is certainly worth saving!

How many times have people in the past scrapped good first edition allegros that were in mad colours with basic trim. Now, apart from the Vanden Plas, basic, original Allegros with insane colours go for the biggest money (some on ebay go for over £2000)

This car deserves saving - especially being original and only 21k on the clock!

Its a classic car now IMO.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
red_rover said:
That car is certainly worth saving!

How many times have people in the past scrapped good first edition alegros that were in mad colours with basic trim. Now, apart from the Vanden Plas, basic, original Allegros with insane colours go for the biggest money (some on ebay go for over £2000)

exactly its old skool!

metro heads... how hard would it be to bolt in a serious 2lt engine & box (something like a VX red top, VW 16v etc), NOS, sports suspension etc?

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
red_rover said:
How many times have people in the past scrapped good first edition alegros that were in mad colours with basic trim. Now, apart from the Vanden Plas, basic, original Allegros with insane colours go for the biggest money (some on ebay go for over £2000)
Am I alone in thinking that criticism of the Allegro and Princess has become less vociferous in general recently? I have heard far fewer people slagging off the two models than used to be the case... whether in the media, pub talk or wherever.

Those VDP Allegros and the 1750 Equipe are the ones which will, I think, be especially sought after in the future... in the way that the 1300 GT and 1300 VDP have become today. Mind you, any 1970s revival will as you say impact positively on those lime green, bright orange and purple Allegros of whatever spec. I've seen a few young people about this year wearing the sort of gear we thought was cool and trendy in the '70s, so who knows?

Especially if it comes with its handbooks and service book. Even if it doesn't, you can sometimes strike lucky. There was an article by Peter Simpson in a recent edition of 'Car Mechanics' explaining how you may be able to recover these documents.

Whatever, it looks OK and with such a low mileage it's definitely worth saving.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I had an electric blue 1750 HLS Allegro a long time ago. Leaked like a sieve when it rained, but didn't half go well! It was a square steering wheel one. Weird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts