MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Liquified petroleum gas, is just another kind of fuel, and that would be the Autogas you see on petrol stations.
LPG conversions allows a petrol car to run on LPG as well as petrol. LPG only stays liquid inside a pressuried container.
It burns cleaner than petrol that is why the government makes it cheap(around 45p/litre).

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquified_petroleum_gas

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
is LPG at around 45p a litre?? or is it more/less?
some manufacturers offer LPG powered vehicles as part of the range.

For example the previous astra was available as a dualfuel version, I think with the most popular 1.6 petrol engine.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh right I see. Jimmy Caars rover 75 that had an lpg conversion blew up. I think Volvo offer an LPG as well, not sure though.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
That's still almost $3.00 per gallon though! But, seeing as LPG also has fuel economy benefits, it probably evens out in the end. Plus, its not like petrol is any cheaper these days.

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
Bob S said:
That's still almost $3.00 per gallon though! But, seeing as LPG also has fuel economy benefits, it probably evens out in the end. Plus, its not like petrol is any cheaper these days.
$3.00 per gallon! You lucky sod! A UK gallon costs about $9.40 (about £1 per litre) but as your US gallons are only 80% the size of ours that'll be $7.52 to you.

Now you can see why Europeans think LPG is a worthwhile economy and why we're all slack jawed with amazement when US consumers moan about their "expensive" fuel costs.:sick:

G

·
A few points:

Autogas is a generic term for LPG when used in road vehicles.

The gas itself is a mixture of propane and butane.

You normally get around 10-15% fewer miles per gallon but as the fuel is only 40-45% of the cost of petrol tha ctual cost per miles is about half that of petrol (or even less).

It is cleaner than petrol in that there is no sulphur (or other nasty chemicals) in it - just hydrogen and carbon.

The smell is added artic¡ficially - naturally LPG has no smell.

Cost per mile running my Rover 827 on LPG is the equivalent of about 50mpg on deisel or petrol.

I'm paying about 33p/litre for gas here in Wolvderhampton

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Richard Moss said:
I'm paying about 33p/litre for gas here in Wolvderhampton
Richard, where from? Not a regular filling station i take it?

Morrisons have set all their station prices to 39.9p. Thieving scum BP are charging 48.9, this is bad because they own nearly all the filling stations along the motorways so you normally have no choice but to cough up :mad:

I get 16mpg from LPG which is only a loss of about 2 so i'm getting the equivalent of about 28mpg price wise

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
According to tests by an Australian haulier who bought identical lorries with Petrol, Diesel and LPG engines the LPG engine will outlast the others by about double. LPG seems to cause very little wear on the engine parts. don't know why.

G

·
Londonbabe said:
LPG seems to cause very little wear on the engine parts. don't know why.
LPG does not have all the nasty additional components that petrol and diesel have - sulphur etc. As a result, it doesn´t drop those compounds into the oil, thus reducing wear.

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Thanks for bringing up this thread again, its good to see if there is change in prices.

There isnt really a rapid rise, the graph is quite dramatic but reality it as much as you'd think it was portraying. Its gone up by about 2-3p per litre on average.

It is something that has to be monitored though, with Texaco charging 53p a litre there is scope for others tipping over the 50p boundary.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Is it me or is the price of LPG steadily going up? I mean other petrol price seems to go up and down, but LPG just keeps in climbing!

LPG Prices
Of course, it's another thing for Gordon Brown to tax the poor motorist on as soon as it starts getting popular.....................:doh: .
You used to be able to get some sort of rebate payment for converting cars to run onit, but that's gone now as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its also cheaper than milk! Always amazxes me, one is made in a local cow on a local field, just a bit of teat pulling and there it is. The other is extracted from several miles under the earths core from somewhere in the middle of the atlantic, shipped over here on a huge great bit tanker, taken to a refinary and then shipped around the country

1 - 20 of 22 Posts