MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to take my front wheels off last night to change my brake pads. couldnt undo one nut on drivers side, so left it and went on to the passenger side got all five studs out but i couldnt get the wheel to come off. am i missing something? has anyone else suffered from this? my brake pads need changing asap so any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Blink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Or try a carefully placed foot. Careful that the car is on stable support. Smear a little copper grease on the hub surface before replacing the road wheel, taking care there is nothing anywhere near the brakes. Should stop it happening again.

As for the bolt you couldn't remove, it was probably done up last using a windy gun and was done far too tight. You will have to use a long lever on your socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
blinkman13 said:
Sounds Expensive If It Goes Wrong!!
Try braying in gently on the inside wheel rim. Rotate the wheel as you do this to try and loosen in evenly.

A soft faced mallet/hammer will prevent damage to the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EnEnGee said:
Or try a carefully placed foot. Careful that the car is on stable support. Smear a little copper grease on the hub surface before replacing the road wheel, taking care there is nothing anywhere near the brakes. Should stop it happening again.

As for the bolt you couldn't remove, it was probably done up last using a windy gun and was done far too tight. You will have to use a long lever on your socket.
tried that and started taking the thread off so i am calling at moto save on the way home to ask them do it with the gun thingy.

thanks for all your speedy responses

regards

blinkman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Marmalizer said:
Try braying in gently on the inside wheel rim. Rotate the wheel as you do this to try and loosen in evenly.

A soft faced mallet/hammer will prevent damage to the wheel.
will i dont have the bottle to hit my beautiful car so i phoned my dad up and booked him for tonight so he can beat my car into a pulp not me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
blinkman13 said:
Started to take my front wheels off last night to change my brake pads. couldnt undo one nut on drivers side, so left it and went on to the passenger side got all five studs out but i couldnt get the wheel to come off. am i missing something? has anyone else suffered from this? my brake pads need changing asap so any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Blink
The stuck wheel just wallop it it will come off.
As for the stuck stud first thing to do is put the other four back in and do them up tight this will take a little bit of pressure off the jammed one and will help once you do get it to start moving
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Put the bolts back in hand tight lower the car back down and go lock to lock with the steering wheel, If it makes a loud Bong noise its come off the hub nicely.
Jack it back up and off it should come, Defo put some coppergrease on the wheel surface though stop it happening again.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
78 Posts
blinkman13 said:
well i dare not whack my car with a lump hammer so i think that will be a last resort
i remember ford having a b block of railway sleeper they put against the wheel and then set to battering the hell out of the sleeper to get the wheel off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sph060977 said:
i remember ford having a b block of railway sleeper they put against the wheel and then set to battering the hell out of the sleeper to get the wheel off
so this happens quite often then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Just lower the jack back down and the wheel (stuck on the hub) will just bong off!

Far more simpler than all this banging malarky!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,899 Posts
They applied grease at the factory. You should use it everytime the wheel comes off, but obviously people dont. The steel of the spigot reacts slightly with the alloy of the wheel and they oxidise and stick.

Easiest way is to slacken all the studs off a decent amount and rock the car. Stand on the sill with the door open and bounce if needed. Then just jack it up and pull wheel off as normal.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top