MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAn I please have your opinions, as to wether it is worth the money, time and effort to fit a KN Cone Filter with a enclosed plant pot/tuparware unit round it connected with 2 fat tubes, one under the engine and one down the left side intake. REALLY guys how much performance gains have you got from doing simular projects?

I understand that just a KN Cone Filter in the engine bay with no enclosed unit around it will actually decrease power.

Any help or information, photos or step by step guides from you lot would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
i'm looking forward to getting my car on the rollers at the next RR day to find out. all i know is, when i had my K+N inside a plant pot, i thoguht it was pretty solid, but when i had taken itout to fit it inside a rover 820 airbox, the vacuum suction created by teh filter had weakened teh plant pot and one side had caved in.
if i was you, and u were gonna enclosd one in a plant pot/airbox, i wouldnt bother with a air feed underneath the car as well as to the side, just do one or the other. my preference is fitting big pipe to side vent.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
i dont agree. in an mgf, yes they have crap air system, so a K+N improves massively. on a tf, the gains are either very small, or if the filter is left open, can be detrimental... but still, done properly, an enclosed K+N, i feel is better than standard tf air system.
For all the effort you go to to enclose the system and install it in the first place I'd REALLY want hard evidence of the gains you get from it over the standard TF airbox.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
For all the effort you go to to enclose the system and install it in the first place I'd REALLY want hard evidence of the gains you get from it over the standard TF airbox.
its not a massive load of effort. couple of hours, its more frustratingrather than effort. plus, even if the gains arent too brilliant, u still have the induction noise to smile about whilst u look at your arms covered in savlon ;)
when is your rr day Deano ? guess we will know then
its the 30th june, but the results wont be ideal, as i have a daytona exhaust as well, so increases may be due to that as well. but it will be a good idea.

plus, iknow of a fair few ppl, who have indeed fitted a K+N just being fed by a couple of cold feed pipes, knowing full well they may be losing a couple of BHP and are happy to sacrifice those for the smile increase when u hear a K+N induction roar.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
i guess what i am trying to say is. until we have solid proof, as far as mgtf's go, teh gains are probably minimal. but the reasons arent.
the gains may be decent, but the reasons still apply. for bang for buck, on an mgf its amazing. on a tf, i really cant see it doing much, but for smiles for buck, thats a different story. and excuse. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what about keeping the standed air box and having one of the air hoses go down the left side vent instead of round the back of the engine.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
NEWSFLASH: Krisxf is bringing along his K&N 57i kit and de-cat pipe for people to experiment with on the rolling road if they wish!

So get your bloody names down on my list people!!

Shameless plug over! :lol:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
what about keeping the standed air box and having one of the air hoses go down the left side vent instead of round the back of the engine.
I've done this to one of the pipes and there is a slight noticable improvement in performance, more so at speeds on the motorway. But it's peace of mind that more cold air is getting into the engine.

The other pipe is near the vents on the boot so moving that one wouldn't have much more benefit.

I will only replace the standard intake for a cold air induction rather than enclosed K&N. IMO i want a professional finish for the extra cash.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done this to one of the pipes and there is a slight noticable improvement in performance, more so at speeds on the motorway. But it's peace of mind that more cold air is getting into the engine.

The other pipe is near the vents on the boot so moving that one wouldn't have much more benefit.

I will only replace the standard intake for a cold air induction rather than enclosed K&N. IMO i want a professional finish for the extra cash.
cool I will do that this weekend did you need to extend the tube or did it fit anyway??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts