MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

Bought a 1998 MGF a few weeks ago from an independent dealer. From his advert on fish4cars he stated 1 owner. Anyway, saw the car liked it and bought it.
I didn't ask to see the V5 before I bought it and he only gave me the small bit for new owners which doesn't tell you how many previous owners there have been.

Had a look on the vehicle data check thing on the RAC website and it seems there have been 4 previous owners.

How worried and peed off should I be about this and should I take any action.

Cheers,

Ashley.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i woudl cos he lied to you. id give him the car back

problem is getting him to take it back off you tho - you def have a case tho if he told you it only had one previous owner tho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TBH... once a car gets over 4-5 years old condition plays a bigger part in its value than how many owners its had.

I see what you mean, but I feel that the dealer ought to either give me some cash back or deal with trading standards.

I hate being ripped off. I love the car, but its taken the edge off it a bit for me knowing I'm the 5th owner rather than the 2nd.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
ashleyw said:
I see what you mean, but I feel that the dealer ought to either give me some cash back or deal with trading standards.

I hate being ripped off. I love the car, but its taken the edge off it a bit for me knowing I'm the 5th owner rather than the 2nd.

...totally agree... I would go back and see him, ... personally I would approach him all innocently (ie not in an angry way), explain that his advert clearly states one owner, so ask could the RAC be wrong ??? :rolleyes: etc etc ... see what he says, he could have made a genuine mistake (which he should recompense you for) ... etc etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its 6 years old and had a service 2 years ago which was only 4000 miles ago.

So it needs its 5 year service. I knew that when I bought it. Even though he advertised it as having FSH.

I was more willing to pay £500 on a service when I thought there was only 1 previous owner.

Perhaps I should ask the dealer to pay. Its booked it at the MGF centre wolverhampton for the service in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi

This might be of interest

"it must not be misleading and must not be in breach of the Trades Description Act (breaking this Act is a criminal offence). Restrictions on advertising are becoming more complex with time and if in doubt you should contact the Advertising Standards Authority"

I'd go to citizens advice if I were you

MikeS

·
Registered
187 Posts
The info on the RAC website can sometimes be a bit misleading, for example if the car was a demonstrator then the dealer may have been noted as the first 'owner' and the person that bought it off them would be the 2nd... Probably best to speak to the DVLA to get the complete history.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I might ask him to pay for the service as a gesture of goodwill. If he doesn't then I'll report him to trading standards.

Seems only fair. Might stop him doing it to somebody else.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
deelunn said:
your supposed to have a service every year no matter how many miles its done. i think its 15k or every year not one or the other!
You are quite right again dee except ... on the earlier F it was 12 months/12000 miles rather than 15000 miles. But yes - FSH means every year, especially the 5 year cambelt change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just sent the dealer an email. Gave him his options.
Either pay for 5 year service or refer to trading standards.

I've got a good idea how he's going to reply though.
I'll let you know tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts