MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by apologising if this is in the wrong place or has been asked a million times before, I am new to this site you see! I have a small hole in my canvas soft top on my Trophy and would like to know the best, easiest and most long lasting way to repair it? Was going to buy a kit form Halfords but wanted to check on here first. It is not in a place that is effected by the frame when the hood is down, have no idea how it happened, it was like that when I bought it a few months ago. Thanks so much in advance and please feel free to redirect me if this is in the wrong section of the forum! Cheers!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll start by apologising if this is in the wrong place or has been asked a million times before, I am new to this site you see! I have a small hole in my canvas soft top on my Trophy and would like to know the best, easiest and most long lasting way to repair it? Was going to buy a kit form Halfords but wanted to check on here first. It is not in a place that is effected by the frame when the hood is down, have no idea how it happened, it was like that when I bought it a few months ago. Thanks so much in advance and please feel free to redirect me if this is in the wrong section of the forum! Cheers!!
Super glue and a blob of clear nail varnish or black if you have a goth in the house

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If its a 10mm dia hole just above the drivers door quite a few have that problem, to repair ours I bought some blue Gore-Tex self adhesive repair material from a camping shop, but the self adhesive backing was white so I cut a piece approx 50mm square then stuck a piece 20mm sq in the middle so that the blue would show through the hole then affixed this on the inside of the hood, first repair lasted 12/14 months & the second one has been on for 6 months.

·
Registered
mg_tf
498 Posts
I tried superglue and it just soaked into the fabric and looked rubbish, i wouldn't recommend it but perhaps it did it wrong.

·
Registered
mgf
16 Posts
Soft Top Repair

I used a section of cycle innner tube puncture repair patch and secured it over the hole (on the inside) of the soft top with "slow" superglue. the slow super glue is known by this term as it is much thicker than the standard superglue and takes longer to set. This repair has lasted 6 month so far and is still stuck fast.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
do it from the inside, use a bit of black canvas or the inner tube repair material, best is an old piece of hood. use an impact adhesive (not superglue) something like evo-stick, spread thinly on the hood and the patch, wait until almost dry, barely sticky to touch then apply the patch.

I bought a hood repair kit from halfrauds which told me to purchase a colouring to mix with it, when I asked for some at halfrauds they said they didnt stock it, pfft got my money back.

·
Registered
mg_tf
283 Posts
Try someone who can repair it using "microfibre". worked for me and the repair has been going for 2 years.
Try the search facility or google it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Wet suit repair kit is the most appropriate for mohair hoods.
I assume this to be true for canvas as well.
In my experience with an MGB this method will outlast the hood.
Alternativeley try a trimming shop for advice.(ie: Don Trimming in Birmingham)
Most alternatives break down in wet conditions and movement such as in a hood. Superglues and most adhesives available on the retail market are not, generally , waterproof.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts