MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got any experience of the soft ride kits being offered on line at sub £300, I asked one retailer for details of the manufacturer/spec sheet. I received the answer below which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence but wondered if anyone had fitted them.
I presume these are coming from China and hence little provenance, were they made for the Chinese built TF's and if so is there any difference in spec/fitment.

"Not seen a spec sheet anywhere but according to various sources these were the shocks that the TF was originally designed to run on until the accountants decided to cut costs and use a harder setup"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anybody got any experience of the soft ride kits being offered on line at sub £300, I asked one retailer for details of the manufacturer/spec sheet. I received the answer below which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence but wondered if anyone had fitted them.
I presume these are coming from China and hence little provenance, were they made for the Chinese built TF's and if so is there any difference in spec/fitment.

"Not seen a spec sheet anywhere but according to various sources these were the shocks that the TF was originally designed to run on until the accountants decided to cut costs and use a harder setup"
As I understand it the TF was originally destined to have the Bilstein but on cost grounds
had an inferior substitute dampers. Later on the softer springs were introduced to soften the ride, according to those who know (not me) the Bilstein kit is the best with the soft ride kit behind it.

·
Registered
mg_tf
275 Posts
The problem with the TF ride is down to the dampers not the springs. As said above this was most likely to have been due to cost. It's a shame because the Bilstein kit (fitted to mine) transforms the car to how it should have been. Later (post 05 build) did have better dampers and softer springs. I believe that this is what is being sold as the "soft ride" kit. They also had thicker anti-roll bars to compensate for the softer springs. If you were to fit the "soft ride" dampers with the original springs you should have a much improved ride and still retain the roll stiffness. If you can afford the thicker anti-roll bars as well (I have those fitted too) then you would have a really good setup.
The "soft ride" kit has been used by some members here and gets good reviews.
Maybe one of them could respond to you.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,701 Posts
Where are you finding them for under £300? I ask because with a simple internet search, I haven't found any at that price. All the ones that I have come across are over £400 and I think are all part of a reasonably recently re-manufactured batch that was commissioned from the original manufacturer of the factory fit soft ride suspension components.

I would want to be sure of the manufacturer/source of any kit being marketed at two thirds of the price of the 'genuine' kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts