MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trawled through some of the threads on this forum about brake discs, I'm now totally lost as to what the best type of discs to get for my car (R25 GTI) are.
I'll most likely go for Black Diamonds (one of the few companies to even acknowledge that my car exists!), but should I get:

>Grooved,
>Cross-drilled, or:
>Drilled and grooved?

I don't really fancy an option that eats through pads like Rick Waller eats through pies, but don't want brake fade either.

Some people have mentioned that grooved discs are too noisy, while cross-drilled are prone to cracking, but whats the truth?
What good/bad experiences have you had with the different options?

ANY response from some kind souls would be much appreciated!!!

Marc

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The word is change your brake fluid, it prob been there for some years and could do with replacing.

Dot 4 is what it takes, so put in the same, or Dot 5 which has a higher boiling point (reduces fade).

If you can't get a ZR160 upgrade (262mm to 282mm)

Black Diamond Grooved with Black Diamond predator pads is what you want..

crossdrilled start to crack around them after a while.

·
Registered
254 Posts
some grooved disks are only very lightly grooved and they wear smooth very quickly.EBC tend to warp easily but ive heard good reports on black diamond disks and pads

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cirian75 said:
The word is change your brake fluid, it prob been there for some years and could do with replacing.

Dot 4 is what it takes, so put in the same, or Dot 5 which has a higher boiling point (reduces fade).

If you can't get a ZR160 upgrade (262mm to 282mm)

Black Diamond Grooved with Black Diamond predator pads is what you want..

crossdrilled start to crack around them after a while.
Cheers matey! 2 things:

>How often should I be changing the brake fluid?

>Black Diamond discs and pads will work out £150 for the fronts. How much would the ZR160 upgrade cost roughly? Assuming the upgrade costs more, does it warrant the extra expence?

Anyone else have anything to add that I should know?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kev25v6 said:
brake fluid should be every two years
cheers for that. Brake fluid was changed on the last service, which was september last year. So I'm guessing its not the brake fluid thats the cause (?)

·
Registered
702 Posts
wouldnt put dot 5 in to there its not the same as dot 4. dot 5.1 is the same :) just so you dont make a (very expensive) mistake.

edit/
Just some fyi :) dot 5 - silicone based.
dot 3,4,5.1 are ester/ether based

Not compatible with each other.

If your car is pretty much stock, stick to a set of 160 fronts, (not sure about calipers and such someone should know) if you want your pads to last longer then ofcourse and type of grooved disks will eat them faster. but the good thing is that it keeps the pad face clear of any thing that hinders braking performance.

Cross drilled dont do more that just cool the disk faster, its like adding more air channels to the disk. They do crack, but only after time, or under heavy abuse. think about it, if most highend super cars can have drilled disks im sure they will be ok on a 25 :) the plus side is it will not eat up the pad as badly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts