MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question because not only can there be no Police/Ambulance service in the UK not operating them, but today I came across a huge convoy of them heading north up the M6.

Even more disturbing, they all bore military registrations. I counted at least 36 of varying body styles, inc. what must be some 'special build' box-bodies and a couple of 4x4 examples, again with special adaptions.

At this rate, in 20 years time, will we actually be able to buy another marque of van?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks like the MOD must have bought Sprinters then - so more UK currency exported to Stuttgart.

I'm currently away in India on business and over here the most popular truck and bus is.............. Ashok Leyland. On virtually every truck on the road the Leyland logo is proudly displayed. Even the old truck names like Comet & Bison live on. Leyland UK themselves sold off their shareholding in Ashok in 1987, so although there is no current UK connection the name at least lives on.

·
Registered
mg_zt
278 Posts
Adrian Menzies said:
Looks like the MOD must have bought Sprinters then - so more UK currency exported to Stuttgart.

I'm currently away in India on business and over here the most popular truck and bus is.............. Ashok Leyland. On virtually every truck on the road the Leyland logo is proudly displayed. Even the old truck names like Comet & Bison live on. Leyland UK themselves sold off their shareholding in Ashok in 1987, so although there is no current UK connection the name at least lives on.
Am I right in thinking theres some 'BMC' vans being launched soon...

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
BMC are back in the UK. They're a Turkish manufacturer and their vans are right where the competition were twenty years ago.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Considering the look of the new one, I doubt it will have as much appeal. Everyone seems to be launching new vans recently, and all of which look as ugly as the other. Real eyesores.

The Maxus looks a hell of a lot simpler and well rounded...

·
Registered
mg_zt
278 Posts
Liam Olf said:
Considering the look of the new one, I doubt it will have as much appeal. Everyone seems to be launching new vans recently, and all of which look as ugly as the other. Real eyesores.

The Maxus looks a hell of a lot simpler and well rounded...
Yea the Maxus is the smartest, I noticed the royal mail seem to always buy LDV but not many other places seem to, shame. Anyone got a link about those BMC vans?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
swiftone said:
Anyone got a link about those BMC vans?
Here is a UK-based site that deals in them:

http://www.bmcukltd.com/prod_vans.html

www.phinternational.co.uk/bmc_vans_290v.html

Must say, our local council runs BMC school buses. Very nasty things, cheap white interiors ripped straight from the 1990s that rattle and vibrate and idle, and fully laden really struggled up the shallowest hills.

Seating is clostrophobic and uncomfortable as well.

Their vans aren't much better by the looks of it...

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Is this the same company that still builds the BMC 1.8l diesel engine found in so many narrowboats?

Do the vans have any connection to the Sherpa?

·
Registered
965 Posts
there are lots of those BMC buses used on school work here in bradford. dont know what they're like mind.

i was looking at the website for the new merc sprinter last night, but i think they have got way too complicated. we have the current ones at work as ice cream vans, but they do very low milages, ie our K reg one is on 48,000 miles, so we dont need all the toys.

why do you need a six speed gearbox, and air conditioning in a van that does three miles a day, and not often more than 40mph. all new sprinters have a 6 spd gearbox as standard, and all sorts of braking aids and it looks pretty expensive.

my boss said the next new van probably wont be a merc, so really that means that its the transit that will be the default choice!

also the new sprinter is quite ugly, and has a longer snout than the current one.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Devonshire Dave said:
there are lots of those BMC buses used on school work here in bradford. dont know what they're like mind.

i was looking at the website for the new merc sprinter last night, but i think they have got way too complicated. we have the current ones at work as ice cream vans, but they do very low milages, ie our K reg one is on 48,000 miles, so we dont need all the toys.

why do you need a six speed gearbox, and air conditioning in a van that does three miles a day, and not often more than 40mph. all new sprinters have a 6 spd gearbox as standard, and all sorts of braking aids and it looks pretty expensive.

my boss said the next new van probably wont be a merc, so really that means that its the transit that will be the default choice!

also the new sprinter is quite ugly, and has a longer snout than the current one.
One suspects that the Metro Yellowbuses are not intensivly used so something cheap and cheerful was probably required, although i expect local manufacturer Optare may not be amused who make a vastly superior single decker, although Metro have bought some optare midi buses for a variety of roles.

I do think the new sprinter looks a bit of a duffer, the VW version looks better but i would buy a Maxus if I wanted a large van. However the sprinter will still sell because it has the gaurenteed sales badge for all the sad German vehicle lovers that infest this country.

Some people spend a lot of time in their van so expect all mod cons these days such as Air Con.

The BMC Van doesnt look too bad but you just know build quality is going to crap and will drive like a dog compared to modern vans. No doubt there will be a limited UK market for it, but as with a lot of cheap foreign vehicles I think most people would rather pay a bit more and get something decent or buy second hand.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Stop being so defeatist. All Ford or LDV have to do is spec their vans to be better than the Merc and market them properly and continue to make them reliable and they will see off Mercedes. It's not too late; it's just healthy competition that keeps the products of the rivals in this country competetive as well.

Those Mercs (or Puchs, really) are at an advantage because they come in a large range of sizes and are sold world-wide (as Dodge Sprinters in the USA, for example).

It's not like cars - the Mercs sell on space, versatility, performance and economy same as any other van.

·
Registered
classic_rover
351 Posts
Interloper said:
I ask this question because not only can there be no Police/Ambulance service in the UK not operating them, but today I came across a huge convoy of them heading north up the M6.

Even more disturbing, they all bore military registrations. I counted at least 36 of varying body styles, inc. what must be some 'special build' box-bodies and a couple of 4x4 examples, again with special adaptions.

At this rate, in 20 years time, will we actually be able to buy another marque of van?
Has the MOD placed any orders for the Maxus? It would be the least they could do, having turned down LDV's truck bid in favour of yet another German manufacturer.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Londonbabe said:
Stop being so defeatist. All Ford or LDV have to do is spec their vans to be better than the Merc and market them properly and continue to make them reliable and they will see off Mercedes. It's not too late; it's just healthy competition that keeps the products of the rivals in this country competetive as well.

Those Mercs (or Puchs, really) are at an advantage because they come in a large range of sizes and are sold world-wide (as Dodge Sprinters in the USA, for example).

It's not like cars - the Mercs sell on space, versatility, performance and economy same as any other van.
I agree on this one as well. The 'LDV' were chosen as ambulance because were willing to fit powerful V8 into their vans. Once they stopped putting such a really powerful engine into the Sperpa ... ooops, the Freight Rover I mean, the hospitals need a replacement for the fast ambulances. There isn't much of a choice other than the Mercedes Sprinter, those engines give 156 BHP which is more than those V8's pump out and it is a diesel as well!

Now where would LDV find a engine with about 150 horsepower to match if they were to step in the ambulance market with the new Nexus?

·
Registered
965 Posts
andy said:
I agree on this one as well. The 'LDV' were chosen as ambulance because were willing to fit powerful V8 into their vans. Once they stopped putting such a really powerful engine into the Sperpa ... ooops, the Freight Rover I mean, the hospitals need a replacement for the fast ambulances. There isn't much of a choice other than the Mercedes Sprinter, those engines give 156 BHP which is more than those V8's pump out and it is a diesel as well!

Now where would LDV find a engine with about 150 horsepower to match if they were to step in the ambulance market with the new Nexus?
i think LDV are going to introduce a more powerful engine into the Maxus in the next year or so. i would guess its a version of the current VM one. LDV could do what ford have done and have a petrol engine suitable for LPG conversion, as that would remove the Congestion charge in London. i wonder if the 2 or 2.5 litre KV6 would fit, if and when re-introduced.

also i think LDV will get a lot more business when they get their Chassis cab model out. being FWD it will also be suitable for all sorts of conversions too, like the PSA vans and Renault are, such as 6 wheel low loaders, and motorhomes.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
iburnley said:
Yeh i believe that LDV will be introducing a version of the VM engines which develops around 145bhp.
The good news is that LDV are looking to increase power output to, as you say, 145hp. They have access to a wide range of VM diesel engines and could go as far as 175hp and 300 lb/ft torque.

The new management are looking at increasing the payload upto 4.2 tonnes, increasing the vehicle length and possibly working on some rear wheel drive versions again.

It's due to perceived traction problems with front wheel drive vans, the lack of a 4.2 tonne Maxus variant with double rear wheels and the fact the longest Maxus is still a couple of feet shorter than the Sprinter that is costing LDV sales. The van does, however, suit Royal Mail who require a van on payload and not internal area grounds.

LDV are doing well, sales are up quite considerably against the same time last year, and they have just acquired the Stadco Birmingham Pressings arm from Stadco.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I think the lack of an Longer Maxus is also going to cost Minibus sales as well. As the old Convey being one of the widest vans available could offer 4 abreast seating giving 17 seats, whereas the Maxus can only offer 3 abreast seating giving 15 seats. However the transit can offer a 17 seat model by having a longer model and adding another row of seats. Ideally LDV need to match this I since the small van seems to be on the back burner I would have thought the costs of a longer Maxus would be significantly less.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re BMC -

The main reason behind the sales surge of the single-deck chassis is the familiarity of the driveline - Cummin/Allinson as per everything else these days. So any Dennis Dart mechanic will already be on easy ground, and the price is cheaper.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Interloper said:
Re BMC -

The main reason behind the sales surge of the single-deck chassis is the familiarity of the driveline - Cummin/Allinson as per everything else these days. So any Dennis Dart mechanic will already be on easy ground, and the price is cheaper.
Talking of which, I notice LDV are being touted as potential purchasers of Dennis Eagle, they of dustbin-lorry-thing fame.

·
Registered
classic_rover
351 Posts
Nick Birse said:
Talking of which, I notice LDV are being touted as potential purchasers of Dennis Eagle, they of dustbin-lorry-thing fame.
Really? If that keeps MAN at bay, that's good news.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts